Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice--Cannondale Chase 2 (2007)

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  microse 
#1 ·
Hi all..I am new to the forum and looking for some advice on buying a used bike. I am looking at a bike for trail riding and commuting (only a few miles of commute). And I want a bike that will withstand the more strenuous activity--trail riding. I came across a Cannondale Chase 2 (2007) in excellent condition. I know the bike is intended to be a dirt jumping bike, but I can crank the seat high enough to where it feels like an XC type bike. It feels really great flat and over small obstacles, but I wasn't able to test it on trails or for a longer ride. The price is $375, and with the components, I am having a difficult time turning down the offer. Most things are stock, but that bike is pretty well equipped stock and has been maintained very well (I had it checked by a LBS). I am looking for advice for how this bike will fair on trails as opposed to doing actual dirt jumping. Any and all advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

I should also add it has a double chain ring set up in the front with a bash guard with 8 gears in the back. I don't use the lower gears on my other mtn bike while commuting or trail riding...only the higher gears. Basically, will the frame be a hindrance to comfortable and efficient trail riding? Thanks again.

#2 ·
I've spent time on two Chase frames. I don't think it's the best frame for what you want. It can be fun on some trails, but it'll never be as efficient and rideable for general xc as an xc frame is. It lacks some climbing prowess and unless you put a longer stem on it you'll probably feel pretty cramped.

If you can't pass it up, make sure you have a stout and long seatpost that will still keep 5" in the frame (more than the minimum insertion...to handle the extra leverage you'll be putting on it while seated). A pair of Maxxis Holy Rollers are a pretty decent compromise between pavement-fast and grip in the dirt (not ideal, but pretty good really).

The gearing is fine for trail riding until you get going pretty fast...it'll be a bit short for commuting unless you ride slow. I think you might be happier with an xc frame....lighter weight, larger gearing range, and more efficient for what you want.

#4 ·
Thank you for the advice. While it is well-equipped, I don't want to have a ride that will not be as good...it is on the threshold of my spending limit and wouldn't be able to afford buying a different frame and swapping it out. So looks like I will be waiting for a more suitable deal.

Take care.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.