Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Compatibility & which brand is the best disc brake?

869 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  heff® 
#1 ·
I am sure that this question has been asked time and time again but I don't have time to look.

Can XTR brake levers control any other brand of caliper like Avid or Magura?

Also, which brand is the best, trouble free, easy to work on, QUIETEST disc brake out there?

Thanks,
'hawg

#3 ·
brakes and calipers are a matched pair, so XTR with XTR only.
You can sometimes bodge same manufacturer, but not worth it.

Shim use mineral oil so will not cross with any other manufacturer.

Soft resin squeek less, main thing is brake setup

#4 ·
Can XTR brake levers control any other brand of caliper like Avid or Magura?
Shimano and Magura systems utilise mineral oil, so levers/calipers aren't interchangeable with levers/calipers from systems that use DOT fluid (like Avid, Formula, Hope and Hayes). The seals used in each type of system are prone to swelling/deformation if used with the wrong type of brake fluid.

Avids are by far and away the most renowned for being noisey (check out the Avid turkey gobble thread, for example).

#8 ·
Aside from the fluid issue, most brake levers use pistons designed for the calipers for the right flow level. ID of the hoses can also be different enough to cause them to pop off under pressure, or split after a short period on larger fittings. So no, in general, you can't reliably change levers from one brand to another. Like the guy above me said, you CAN sometimes change levers within the same brand, as long as the caliper is compatible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.