Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

alligator round rotors

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  reptilezs 
#1 ·
#4 ·
i've been using them with the alligator semi metallic pads and they've been howling quite a bit, but it could be because i bought the calipers used or i'm mounting them wrong or whatever, but i'm sure theres nothing wrong with the rotors. they're pretty cool looking and fairly cheap

#5 ·
jrod22 said:
i've been using them with the alligator semi metallic pads and they've been howling quite a bit, but it could be because i bought the calipers used or i'm mounting them wrong or whatever, but i'm sure theres nothing wrong with the rotors. they're pretty cool looking and fairly cheap
Did you clean everything with isopropyl alcohol after getting your greasy finger prints all over the rotor and pads?

Mine only howl when I get crap on them (other than mud), they are dead silent when clean.

#7 ·
yea, i used alcohol and made sure no one touched them, i also had ridden them for a few months before winter set in, including going up and down hills for the express purpose of bedding them in so its not that. i've realigned them multiple times but always with the same result. the only variable left(other than the fact that they're old, used calipers) is that i, ummm, i don't have a torque wrench(please don't hurt me:rolleyes: )

i don't mean to hijack your thread, sorry about that Can't fix a flat

#9 ·
jrod22 said:
yea, i used alcohol and made sure no one touched them, i also had ridden them for a few months before winter set in, including going up and down hills for the express purpose of bedding them in so its not that. i've realigned them multiple times but always with the same result. the only variable left(other than the fact that they're old, used calipers) is that i, ummm, i don't have a torque wrench(please don't hurt me:rolleyes: )

i don't mean to hijack your thread, sorry about that Can't fix a flat
OK...here is how you can cut down on brake squeal, and it does work but you have to be VERY diligent about being clean when doing this. Get some CRC Disc Brake Quiet or Loc-Tite Disc Brake Quiet Stick and put a very thin layer on the backside of the brake pads only where the piston contacts the backplate. It is not grease, it is an acrylic polymer and will dampen pad vibration which is one of the main causes of brake squeal.
:thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited)
I'm using them with Hayes Stroker Carbons in a 7" setup.
To be honest I'd prefer the Avid rotors even at double the cost. The cutouts on the Alligator rounds are bigger than they need to be and I suspect they will chew through pads a bit quicker as a result. There are about twice as many cuts on the Avid rotor that are smaller and I belive work a bit better.

I may swap them out for the Avid rotors depending on how things go in the upcoming season.
Some pics:

Attachments

#13 ·
archer said:
To be honest I'd prefer the Avid rotors even at double the cost. The cutouts on the Alligator rounds are bigger than they need to be and I suspect they will chew through pads a bit quicker as a result. There are about twice as many cuts on the Avid rotor that are smaller and I belive work a bit better.

I may swap them out for the Avid rotors depending on how things go in the upcoming season.
Some pics:
I don't think the difference between the slot size and amount on those and the Avids is that big, at least not big enough to make much of a prediction.

I have a 7" Alligator round up front and a 6" on the rear. They have worked pretty well over the last year and I haven't noticed anything funny about the pad wear

#15 ·
archer said:
The Avid slots are about half as wide as the Alligator slots.
I'll try and remember to take a side by side picture.
Or you could look at it the other way and theorize that since there are more slots on the Avid there are more edges to catch on the pad and wear it down quicker. I still say that our predictions based on looking at the rotor don't mean much, only what actually happens on the trail

#17 ·
The_Stig said:
I have one on the front of my bike. its possible the worst rotor I have ever had. i've had 3 mechs look at my front brake atleast 10 times since I built the bike in November. its been grinding a way at my pads.
caliper CENTERED on disc ?
caliper pistons CLEAN ?
both these things will cause the pads to get chewed up (either on one side or both) my
m755's w/ 4 pistons work perfect w/ my wavy alligators..... but then i also took the time to clean the caliper pistons and make sure my caliper was centered on the disc... (im a motorcycle tech so this just crosses over) also make sure they are bled correctly.... just my opinion so take it how ya want... :cool:

#18 ·
qkenuf4u said:
caliper CENTERED on disc ?
caliper pistons CLEAN ?
both these things will cause the pads to get chewed up (either on one side or both) my
m755's w/ 4 pistons work perfect w/ my wavy alligators..... but then i also took the time to clean the caliper pistons and make sure my caliper was centered on the disc... (im a motorcycle tech so this just crosses over) also make sure they are bled correctly.... just my opinion so take it how ya want... :cool:
Yep and and I think so never thought of checking that, will have to look. They started off as old Hope Mono Minis but then replaced the front caliper to have post mount.

#19 ·
The_Stig said:
I have one on the front of my bike. its possible the worst rotor I have ever had. i've had 3 mechs look at my front brake atleast 10 times since I built the bike in November. its been grinding a way at my pads.
What rotor and pad do you have on the front of your bike?

I've ordered Alligator WindCutter (very light) rotors for my XTR 970 disc calipers. I hope I don't shred my pads too quickly. The pads are SO expensive.

#20 ·
archer said:

Some pics:
older hayes rotors use to be cut like that. i wouldnt worry about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.