Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano servo wave XT 775 levers on 'old' 765 XT Calipers ?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
Hello - apparently you can do this, there is some info buried on the shimano website supporting it and I contacted the UK shimano importers to confirm it so I bought a pair of levers hoping to get the gains of a nicer lever feel, bite point adjust and increased power & maybe a bit more pad clearance.

I've now fited the levers and very closely followed the Shimano bleed instructions but the system doesn't seem to work. It feels OK in the workstand but ride the bike and the levers feel to 'pump out' - the brake bite point seems to move out until there is little movement before the brakes come on and lots of rotor drag. The lever is always firm and there is no sign of sponginess. I've also checked and cleaned all the pistons as a precaution because one of the rear oness loked a bit lazy - it's made no difference.

Anyone else tried this combination - if so did it work out ? Have I missed a trick or does anyone know what could be the cause ?

Many thanks for worthwhile assistance !

#2 ·
I have 775 levers with 965 calipers. It works fine. It sounds like you may have a pocket of air or the system is overfilled. The servowave lever seems to be finicky and traps a bit of air. You can try to remove the resi cap and reset the pistons first to displace any excess fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.