Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stock Tektro Augira vs Quad Dime X/C....

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  slick316 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2009 Rockhopper Expert a couple weeks ago. A few days after getting it home I noticed that the front brakes were leaking fluid and that the front brake had no pressure at all.

I took it back to the dealer and left it with them. They ended up replacing the brake levers, lines, and calipers (everything but the rotor) with the Quad Dime X/C. I didn't think much of it at the time, thought it was a nice thing for them to do since I was really anxious to ride it since the weather just got nice.

But now I am wondering, was this a good thing for me or were the stock Tektro Augira better?

This is my first bike in over 15 years, I know nothing of the brands and such to gauge whether I was treated well by the dealer or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

#2 ·
I did a quick search online and they look decent.... Are you in UK or somthing? Because they look to be copying Hope's set up I'd use em and let us know how they are!

#3 ·
I'm in the US. I don't know if I would be the best person to get information on these brakes from. I almost know entirely nothing about my bike. Besides, I didn't really get to test them against the Tektro's that were on the bike since the front brake leaked just days after I got it.

I can say one nice thing about the Quad Dime's, they have the tool less lever reach adjustment, I really like this feature. For the small amount I have used the bike, I can say that the brakes are working well. They grab really well and maintain great pressure while stopping. Until I ride it on a good trail, I doubt I will know what great brakes should feel like. I will do my best to report back on this brakes.

#5 ·
Sorry, I haven't tested out the brakes much yet. The weather just got good, but I have been dealing with a sprained ankle for a while now.

Hopefully I will be hitting a trail this weekend and can find out more about the brakes. But to be honest, I don't know how enlightening my results will be. The only other brakes I can compare them to are the ones on my Honda Accord :)

As long as they don't leak like the stock Tektro's, I think we are good.

#6 ·
The stock augira brakes were just fine, from what I've understood. I had a pair on my Avalanche (recently replaced with stroker grams). Your shop just seemed lazy and put a set of closeout brakes on your bike. Those Dimes are in the catalog right next to augiras in the "entry level" section. Augiras are ok, but heavy. Based on a shimano design, as the Dime's are based off avid. What happened to your brakes is an improper installation of the hose to the master cylinder (lever). Simple fix to cut and reattach the hose, takes a few minutes, then a re-bleed. No need to change out brakes. You, sir, have found yourself a lazy bike shop.

#7 ·
I found it odd, but I don't know anything about bikes and such, so until I learn more about the "anatomy" of bikes and the different brands and how things work, I'll just have to hope that I don't get hosed by a shop.

I got a few options as far as shops go, so I'm sure I'll find some place good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.