Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XTR vs. Avid v-brakes.

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  peedrama 
#1 ·
I commute to work all year round. My bike is left outside in below 0oC temperatures and then ridden through salt, slush, grit and snow. I'm always having problems with my Avid v-brakes. The originals that came with the bike broke apart (they don't make them anymore), the warranty replacements, SD7, lasted a few years but eventually seized up and now my SL's are done. Would XTR be anymore durable?
I'm not switching to discs. This is my beater/commuter bike. It would cost too much to upgrade everything.

#3 ·
In those kind of conditions, I don't think the higher end stuff is going to fare any better. Those conditions are going to require more frequent maintenance than otherwise too. I would just get a set of Avid Single Digit 7's and new cables/housings and tear them down and clean/lube them a bit more often. If you don't already have them, some sort of fenders might help to keep the crap off of your brakes.

#5 ·
Agreed. The XTRs have the extra complication of the useless Parallel Push mechanism -- two more pivot points to maintain, wear, get loose or seize, and cause squeel and odd vibrations. The Avid SD7s are fine (and the SD5s work just as well) and are cheap, simple and reliable.

#7 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Agreed. The XTRs have the extra complication of the useless Parallel Push mechanism -- two more pivot points to maintain, wear, get loose or seize, and cause squeel and odd vibrations. The Avid SD7s are fine (and the SD5s work just as well) and are cheap, simple and reliable.
Exactly.

#8 ·
I liked XTR´s

Never had one of the avobe issues whith my XTR´s. I do had squealing for a while when switched to ceramics, but it went away after the rim surface broke-in. I´m not saying they can´t go wrong, just telling my experience. Anyway, if ever get play in the links they are replacable, and the main pivots are fully rebuildable for overhaul and bearing preload adjustment. I also had Avids. The SD Ti and some other high in their line (can´t remember which) with matching levers. Nothing wrong with them, simple, light and reliable, but I still think XTR´s were at a higher level.

#9 ·
What&son said:
Never had one of the avobe issues whith my XTR´s. I do had squealing for a while when switched to ceramics, but it went away after the rim surface broke-in. I´m not saying they can´t go wrong, just telling my experience. Anyway, if ever get play in the links they are replacable, and the main pivots are fully rebuildable for overhaul and bearing preload adjustment. I also had Avids. The SD Ti and some other high in their line (can´t remember which) with matching levers. Nothing wrong with them, simple, light and reliable, but I still think XTR´s were at a higher level.
Last time I tried to get rebuild kits for my M950s I couldn't locate any, after experiencing the slop/loosening up of the parallel linkage (which really didn't take all that long)...any suggestions?

#11 ·
What&son said:
Not really. Never looked for one, sorry.
I used up the one rebuild kit I did buy a long time ago, when it was time again it just seemed they weren't available. I've only been trying to order on internet, never remembered when I was in a shop to try a special order; somewhat I figure it's Shimano's policy to offer support for only so long. I have an old pair of calipers that could use a freshening up, a few others still doing okay for now. I did a brief google after I posted before and found one listing, but out of stock, in a UK shop and for $31.90 export price (didn't even look at shipping, not worth it).

#12 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I used up the one rebuild kit I did buy a long time ago, when it was time again it just seemed they weren't available. I've only been trying to order on internet, never remembered when I was in a shop to try a special order; somewhat I figure it's Shimano's policy to offer support for only so long. I have an old pair of calipers that could use a freshening up, a few others still doing okay for now. I did a brief google after I posted before and found one listing, but out of stock, in a UK shop and for $31.90 export price (didn't even look at shipping, not worth it).
Sounds fairly logic given the decreased (shall I say deceased?) popularity of V´s. Not a thing worth stocking, I guess. But in your situation, I would ask my LBS to order a kit. I shall ask mine just out of curiosity and see what they say. Would be a pity they are discontinued.

#13 ·
Wait...this is your commuter right? You‘re riding this bike through the snow/sleet/salt..? Almost all bike parts will fight a losing battle against those elements. I would stick to SD3, SD5, Deore level, don‘t beat the hell out of nice parts just meandering around. It will make your bike less of a thug magnet too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.