Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best brakes for lightweight trail bike build?

4K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  clipt 
#1 ·
What would you consider to be the best all around brakes for a lightweight 5.75 inch travel trail bike build, if budget wasn't a primary concern? (Reliability, weight, performance and no headaches are more important.)

What's the best performer out there right now?

#2 ·
JChasse said:
What would you consider to be the best all around brakes for a lightweight 5.75 inch travel trail bike build, if budget wasn't a primary concern? (Reliability, weight, performance and no headaches are more important.)

What's the best performer out there right now?
Formula Oro Puro in 160/180 or 180/180 or Formula The One, for an even more powerful (but a bit heavier) setup.

#7 ·
Very happy with my M4s on both the AM bike (180/160) and the DH bike (200/200). Plenty of power for one finger stoppies on pavement on the DH bike..and great modulation/feel that can be quite important in the wet and slippery here in the PNW.

X2 rear would save more weight with little loss of power (I was happy with my old minis) and the 'floating' rotors are quite nice (and pretty light).

I will say though that I have never been that impressed with OEM hope pads (running hopes since 04 or so). I prefer something with a little more bite (usually with a trade off of little shorter life) like EBC reds.

#10 ·
As no-one else is stepping in with the best brake I guess I have too.

Formula the one.

Out of all the brakes it is the most powerfull (excluding saint at full lock).
Light, lots of modulation, easy to bleed (if you are not a muppet).

The disadvantages, cost, pad adjustment is pathetic for the price (it works, just).
Spare parts in the UK are a pain to get (but the USA importer on mtbr helped me out when I needed help).

MBUK did computer analysis of all the main brakes this month, power/modulation at varying temps/rotor contam etc etc.

Formula the one came top in everything (especially price).
They were more powerful than every other brake apart from Saint at full lock.

They do not feel like other brakes and work a bit differently so you will take a while to adjust, but once you know how to work with them, awesome.

Hope M4 also scored high,

So if you want best performance at any price Formula
If you want good performace and best looks at any cost Hope m4
If you want good performance at reasonable cost, saint.

#11 ·
What i mean by more powerful than everything apart from saint at full lock is:

The lever compression to braking force is progressive.
The One is quite like a coil/air shock it ramps up smoothly.
The sait is like small chamber air shock and ramps up fast.

pull lever half way, one is more powerful, pull lever 90%+ saint is more powerful.

#18 ·
Pretty much all are good

Shimano XTR, Hope Mini, Formula R1, etc. All brakes are good today. It really is hard to go wrong. I am riding XT and Formula now and love both. Excellent brake systems. I prefer Shimano because they are so silent, but could ride any of them and would like them. Good luck.

#19 ·
I'm leaning toward the XT, quiet, mineral oil, cheaper than the X2s but which has more power? At 215 the Tech M4 and Saints are also in the mix.

Went for a snow ride today,put my old BB7s on with the brake pads and rotors from the juicy 5 and they were silent with alot of power. I like the feel of hydros better and I'm willing to spend for better brakes. It almost seems like the Juicys are disposable where they work great for 6 - 12 months then no matter how many bleeds, pads, rotors, or alignments will bring them back to life.

I like strong brakes and thought of pulling the Codes from the VP Free but they work so well on that bike I'll leave them alone.

#21 ·
Patch said:
I'm leaning toward the XT, quiet, mineral oil, cheaper than the X2s but which has more power? At 215 the Tech M4 and Saints are also in the mix.

Went for a snow ride today,put my old BB7s on with the brake pads and rotors from the juicy 5 and they were silent with alot of power. I like the feel of hydros better and I'm willing to spend for better brakes. It almost seems like the Juicys are disposable where they work great for 6 - 12 months then no matter how many bleeds, pads, rotors, or alignments will bring them back to life.

I like strong brakes and thought of pulling the Codes from the VP Free but they work so well on that bike I'll leave them alone.
Forget the X2. XC Hope brakes are generally quoted as weak (all things being relative). A friend of mine had the M4 and told me they were very powerful (and they're a work of art !). XT are still a sure bet, but if you want something more exotic, the M4 will fill the bill, and they have lots of adjustments.

#22 ·
Jerome - well i didnt get the bike yet. its in the customs:madman:
thats why im asking for any review of them ;)
whats makes me most curious about them is the rotors. the last version was easting the pads like crazy, but the rotors had changed and i hope that fixed the problem. but no one seems to know :(

i found the pics on scale on sicklines so thats how i know the weigh
Cheers
T

#23 ·
Patch said:
I'm looking at Hope Tech X2 or XT M775 to replace the J5 on my Vassago.

THX
Shimano XT rated lowest of all the tested brakes.
loads of setup issues, not as good as deore which is much cheaper

Hope X2, modulation and lever feels great, power not superb.

#24 ·
Formula the one,

Highest scoring brake, the dogs bollocks in every test. their winner and their most wanted.

Formula RX

good braking in wet, ok in dry.
very good lever feel and modulation. Pads wear fast.

#26 ·
THX CaveGiant. I think I'll look into the Formula although from what I've read they go through pads frequently and the power/modulation is short lived. The M4 and Saints have moved to the top of the list as I don't think I'll be disappointed with the power, just want them to be quiet too.

"Shimano XT rated lowest of all the tested brakes.
loads of setup issues, not as good as deore which is much cheaper

Hope X2, modulation and lever feels great, power not superb."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.