Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid Codes with Goodridge hose. Anyone running em?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  atchipmunk 
#1 ·
I have a set of '08 Avid Codes on my bike right now and the hoses recently incurred some damage. Thinking about upgrading the hoses to some Goodridge braided hose, but recently read something about how Avid uses the hose they use because it has slight give which allows easier modulation of the brakes. Now i'm wondering, has anyone out there upgraded the hoses on their Codes and noticed a loss of modulation? Thanks in advance for any input.

Alvin Caragay
Hermosa Beach, CA

#3 ·
I don't think you will notice any difference in modulation. The only time a standard line might flex would be while really clamping down on the lever. At that point the wheel would be fully locked up.

I have run Goodridge lines in the past. IMO they are not really an earth shattering upgrade. They are tougher and the reusable fittings make up for the price differential. Performance difference is so small it may be inperceptible.

#5 ·
IMO the stock avid (as well as some other brands) hose is kind of cheapo. Easy to pinch/crush/kink etc which can all lead to performance issues or leaks. Unfortunately there is no 'upgraded' (flexability, durability, etc) hose around other than going to Goodridge.

As for performance, I can definately tell the difference on the rear due to the longer hose runs. Never been able to tell the difference on the front (shorter hose).

They are certainly expensive. You need to decide whether it is a 'worthwhile' upgrade for you. On the upside, they hoses will last nearly forever, the connections are superior to OEM (very solid, re-usable, very high quality, and well though out) and you can get different connector kits if you change brakes in the future....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.