Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hope Tech V2

803 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tiSS'er 
#1 ·
Anyone running the new Tech V2, and if so what do you have it on, and what is your impression?

#2 ·
smann said:
Anyone running the new Tech V2, and if so what do you have it on, and what is your impression?
I've have the Tech V2s in 203/183 floating rotors for about 7 months now. I spent a week in Whistler with them, and they are on my 7" Turner Highline.

First, the Tech lever is as good as I have ever felt. The adjustments are great and work. I was looking for a more consistent brake coming from Formula The Ones. These deliver. The power is stupid and using the BPC can be modulated very well. My V2s came with organic pads which have a powerful initial bite. I have changed to sintered pads and like the feeling much more. They are more progressive, and feel smoother. I can modulate at the beginning of the stroke better than I could with organics.

After all of the riding on these, the lever is very consistent, and I have never overheated them or experienced any fade whatsoever.

My only real complaint is that they make some noise. I don't think this is common with these, so the must be something with my setup. The only other issue is the price. They are not cheap. But what do you expect for a work of art!

#5 ·
I run a 203mm front V2 on my SX Trail and also on my Orange SubZero (180mm hardtail).

I can't really add much more than tiSS'er has already said, other than that I personally could not get away with the V2 as a rear brake. I tried out a 183mm rear but it was just too bitey at low speed. I weigh around 170lbs and although modulation was easier with a head of steam, the feeling of imbalance at lower speeds made me go for the Tech M4 as my rear brake choice.

Ive never had any issues with noise on any of my Hopes.

slomoking, don't forget that the M4 sits (sort of) in between the X2 and the V2 in terms of power and intended use. As you can see from my own set-up, there's nothing to stop anyone from mixing brakes, so an M4 front can be complimented by an X2 rear. For more aggressive riding, especially at your weight, then the M4 is almost certainly a better choice than the X2 as a front brake.

#6 ·
slomoking said:
tiSS'er, do you think the V2's would be overkill on a 5 Spot for aggressive trail riding? I'm trying to decide if the tech X2's would be enough stopping power for 200lb+ rider.
Funny, I have a Spot that I am running M4s in 183/160. I LOVE THEM. They are quiet, modulate better than any brake I have ever had...including Formula The Ones, and the are lighter than the V2s. The levers are the same, and they are the best I have ever felt. I weight 185 without gear, and I would consider what I ride as super aggressive AM.

The real test for me with the M4s was a few weeks back when we rode Toms Thumb. The descent is steep, very loose, and long. I am running the stock organic pads. I expected the brakes to start howling and overheating quickly. I was expecting the nice burning smell as well. As it would have it, none of this occured. I should note there really is no time to get off the brakes, so you are running about 1 mile with the brakes constantly on and you have to vary pressure. The lever felt constant the whole ride, it never pumped up. Shortly after that descent, we had a second similar one back to the cars. If anything affected the brakes on the first descent, I would have expected to see it here. Low and behold, they felt like normal.

This really sold me on Hopes. You really do need to spend time to set them up, but after that, you can forget about them. Pad life has been much better than expected as well. I would like to try sintereds though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.