Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Your favorite San Diego riding spot?

12K views 126 replies 58 participants last post by  rancidmeat1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Interested in hearing what some of your favorite San Diego spots are!

:thumbsup:

#99 ·
rydbyk said:
Choosing just DH in SD is much like going to a high elevation lake in the Sierras where everyone is fly fishing for trout, yet you decide to go for bass and end up complaining about what a snoozer that lake was....
You've got that all wrong. The bass guy is the XC spandex and the fly fishing trout guy is DH mad baggie. The fly fishing trout guy is wading deep under GRIM REAPER rock look'n deep in his quiver and having to decide between the dry quill or the wet caddis while the bass fishing is trolling along snoozer DAISY lake wondering if his nightcrawler fell off the hook. The fly fishing guy is having to keep an out for the game warden because he catches way more fish than the limit while the bass fishing guy gives a nice wave and big tooth grin to the warden dude because he's got NOTHING in his bag, what does the bass fishing guy have to worry about...NOT A THING...he's falling asleep while trolling his snoozer PANSY lake in his effin Ranger while I'm neopren'n pike infested waters casting into DOOM falls. One time I went over to a bass fisher (hard for me to admit that) to ask him if he had any beer (I was having so much fun bang'n trout heads at BLOODY BANK I pounded my IPA stash) and he handed me a fruit energy drink, he assured me it was nature's balance to keep me regular, then he told me his boat only weighed 62lbs. WTF??!!

#8 ·
i gotta be my usual smart## self. but the places mentioned are complete snoooozers!
my god they are borring places. nothing more than a place to get a workout in i guess.

yes, i am a bike snob, just got back from 6 weeks in BC canada, where i did piles of 3-4000 foot epic technical descents. socal is a faar cry from that.

#9 ·
dft said:
i gotta be my usual smart## self. but the places mentioned are complete snoooozers!
my god they are borring places. nothing more than a place to get a workout in i guess.

yes, i am a bike snob, just got back from 6 weeks in BC canada, where i did piles of 3-4000 foot epic technical descents. socal is a faar cry from that.
O.K. then, for the benefit of dft, please post your favorite places to ride in BC. Should help him enjoy the thread more.......... :p

#14 ·
John Kuhl said:
Hey dft, you said you did 3-4000 foot epic
descents. Did you ride up or get a lift. I ride
to get a workout, anyone can go down hill.
I can be a smart## also.

Best, John
I'm glad you ride for a workout although if that's all you're riding for I'd suggest you take up running and save yourself some $.

Here's your answer about whether DFT gets a lift, and I don't think just "anyone" can drop down this trail.

#15 ·
I live about 200 yards off of Calavera, so I frequent there just about everyday. I love to hit up Laguna and Noble when I have the time. Hodges is a good for an easy fast ride and Daley Ranch is a good play ground. :thumbsup: There's a ton more, but those are the ones "I" frequent.

#16 ·
John Kuhl said:
Hey dft, you said you did 3-4000 foot epic
descents. Did you ride up or get a lift. I ride
to get a workout, anyone can go down hill.
I can be a smart## also.
funny, i have the exact opposite view! i think anyone can crank up a hill (i can go from completely out of shape to doing a 5000 foot climb in ~3 weeks or so) and i think the skill is descending real technical descents. yea, i both climbed and took lifts up. (not a purist) i've climbed my 41 pound+ stinky on probably 30+ rides in excess of 5000 feet total climbing.

ps. don't take my bagging replies seriously, i just love to bag on less than medicore socal rides!!:) to me, noble is honestly one of the most overated trails in the world:)

#17 ·
I kind of agree with you dft. Lots of fireroads and uninspiring exposed trails (I like shade). My favorite SD trail would be ATT. For more local, in the city riding, I head to LPQ or Mission Trails, both of which are starting to get boring.

I have yet to do Noble. I'll probably hit it up once it cools down this fall.

#24 ·
To everyone that is tired of our local trails. Please move somewhere else.

Our trails aren't the best in the world, but how many other cities our size have trails as good as ours riding distance from our houses? My local loop is 15 miles with lots of technical single track and over 2000 ft of climbing. I've ridden lot's of world class trails and loved them. I don't want to move to the middle of nowhere to live however. The surf in BC is too cold!

As to my favourite local trails, some aren't entirely legal (Tunnels, ...) and others I'm not sure about the legality. I do like Lake Morena and would pick it over Noble any day (unless the weather is questionable).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.