Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Steer tube length on a DH bike

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Prettym1k3 
#1 ·
I am new to DH biking, thus my question.
I usually have between 7.5 to 8 inches of steer tube length on my xc bike. I wonder if this rule also apply for a DH bike, or does DH bike requires a shorter steer tube length? Does the length of steer tube has any noticable impact to the riding of the bike when going down a steep trails?

#2 ·
Depends on if you're talking a single crown DH (errr... Freeride) bike, or a triple-clamp DH bike.

If you're going to run a single crown, a steer tube will be anywhere from 6.5-8", just like a standard XC fork. Well, not "just like" one, but you get the idea. It simply all depends on how many spacers you have to bump the stem up.

If you're running a triple-clamp, and you're running a standard stem, same thing.

If you're running a triple-clamp with a direct mount stem, then you dont' need all of that extra space. Bottom crown with the race mounts up in the headset, and the top crown mounts on top of the headset. Direct mount stem mounts to the crown itself. Often times down inside the directmount stem, you'll have a spacer of two, and then the topcap for the headset will mount on top of those and to the starnut.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.