Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

the 20th Parkfield Classic, Oct 3 and 4

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  dagenhay 
#1 ·
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Wheelmen Present the 20th Parkfield Classic
October 3rd and 4th

Closing in on twenty years, the 2009 Parkfield Classic will be one to remember. Great courses, great people, and fun times await those who make the journey to the "earthquake capital of the world" for this year's addition. In addition to commissioning an alliance of priests, monks, shamans, and scientologists to perform a no-rain dance on Friday afternoon, the Wheelmen have been hard at work making sure the courses are groomed, the prized pint glasses ready, and the barbecues fired up. As they say in Parkfield, "Be there when it happens!".

Who/What/When/Where: The Parkfield Classic is presented by the Cal Poly SLO Wheelmen and includes a weekend of XC, DS, ST, and DH racing, along with camping and all around good time. This year's addition takes place on the weekend of October 3rd and 4th, with gates opening on Friday the 2nd at 4pm. The event is held on the V6 Ranch in Parkfield, California, located roughly between Paso Robles and Kettlemen City. For additional information about the race keep your eye on the soon to be updated parkfieldclassic.com . For general Parkfield information on lodging and services please visit https://www.parkfield.com . All proceeds benefit the Cal Poly Wheelmen, a non-profit collegiate mountain biking club. Questions and comments may be directed to Menso de Jong at mdejong (at) calpoly (dot) edu.

RAFFLE!
Have your chance at awesome prizes. Past prizes have included forks, frames, chainguides, tires, and other bike related goodies. This year will be no different.

Cross Country - Saturday Morning
Parkfield has just the right brew for you. We are one of the last few races that won't send you out for loop after loop of the same course. All courses come with our own flavor: flowy single track, big lung busting fire road climbs and long, screaming fast descents. ALL NORBA/USAC XC Racers get a BBQ ticket included with their race.
Distances: Cat 3: 9 miles, Cat 2: 15 miles, Pro/Cat 1: 24 miles.
Dual Slalom - Saturday Afternoon
A new course this year with separate tracks for each racer makes for intense competition all the way down the hill. Built up rollers and additional berms make this year's course the best one yet. One qualifying run. The 16 fastest qualifiers in each category will go head to head in single elimination rounds. Fastest qualifier in each race gets lane choice.
Short Track - Sunday Morning
Fast paced and action packed XC racing that is as fun to watch as it is to race. Laps will be around a modified course from last year. Bring your lungs and your passing gears - we're putting in more room for longer, harder drag races. NORBA/USAC racers will race with corresponding collegiate category due to time constraints.
Downhill - Sunday Morning/Afternoon
When we brew downhill, we use nothing but heaps of fresh single-track. We enrich the flavor with flowing turns, high speed G-outs, and exciting drops. For those preferring something stouter, we've got some harder and bolder lines, but always allow the option for smoother ones for the first timers.
Single Run format. Bypass options are given for most obstacles. Pro/Cat 1 course different than Cat 2/3 course. Riders are encouraged to wear protective gear as necessary. All riders must ride within safe limits!

Race Fees
XC
USAC categories: 40
Juniors: 30
Collegiate: 15

DS, ST, and DH
USAC categories: 35
Juniors: 30
Collegiate:15

One day USACYCLING licenses will be available for purchase by Cat2/3 riders

Parking/Camping is $10.00 per a vehicles plus $10 for trailers.

All entrants, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, must sign guest waivers, or will be asked to leave the event. NO FIRES.
Be smart and bring: Plenty of water, toilet paper, food, and camping equipment. Camping is primitive, but campgrounds have basic flush toilets and working showers. For the less adventuresome, lodging is available at the Parkfield Inn: (805) 463-2421. Be sure to call early because they will fill up fast!

See less See more
#10 ·
LDH said:
Is there plenty of space for a 27' rv trailer and how is the road leading into the area? Any water ,restrooms or showers available?
There is plenty of room in at the ranch, though we will charge an extra 10 for the trailer space. Vineyard Cyn Rd from 101 may be a little difficult so you may want to take Cholame Rd from Hwy 46 in, but Vineyard isn't that bad, just a little narrow with a couple hills. There are water spigots at the ranch but we do not vouch for their potability, no showers except for hoses, and a couple permanent toilets and a whole mess of portapotties that are rented for the weekend.

#13 ·
Collegiate racing season has started with the Chico Bidwell race last weekend and CalPoly Wheelmen's superbly organized yearly mountain bike festival at Parkfield this weekend.
After racing the XC on Saturday morning it's always fun to hang out and watch the dual slalom races.

#16 ·
It might be JL, but honestly I have not ridden since your son destroyed both me and my bike last monday. But I did survive the epic ride so I must be in some kind of shape. I look forward to seeing you there too JL, always fun to hang out.

#18 ·
Parkfield was well organized again this year. Kudos to the race director, who also won the men's A XC race.
I managed to win the cat 2 45+ race, but there were only 4 contenders. Still, I was glad to bring home a Parkfield Classic (root-)beer glass. The weather was perfect (only a bit cold at night -even two sweaters and a sleeping bag couldn't keep me warm at 5am), the dual slalom was a great event to watch (maybe someone will post a video) and the barbequed burgers very tasty.
Thanks and I'll be there again next year! J.L.

#20 ·
balfabiker22 said:
Parkfield kinda sucked this year...gets worse every year. Oh well the course is fun and its still a classic just not nearly as good as it was. :yawn:
If you don't have fun at Parkfield, you need to take a hard look at yourself. This year was awesome! I think i had the most fun this year out of the 6 or so years I have been going. The courses were sick and nice and loose as always, pixie bike races were rad this year, and the party was second to none. Thanks to Menso and everyone else involved in putting it on, I know it was a lot of work but it is greatly appreciated. Can't wait for next year!

#21 ·
balfabiker22 said:
Parkfield kinda sucked this year...gets worse every year. Oh well the course is fun and its still a classic just not nearly as good as it was. :yawn:
The authorities, lawyers, sanctioning bodies, and past issues with safety make it impossible to host the freewheeling Parkfield of yesteryears. Even as is, there was an excess of drunken revelry on Saturday that could very well have shut us down (ransacking the EMT camp??? Really guys??). We really don't need drunk people losing front teeth jumping off of "borrowed" tables, in the dark, at a venue where you signed a paper stating that you brought no alcohol in, put on by a school-affiliated team that could have its charter revoked at the slightest hint that we officially condone any of the above (which we don't).

The courses were the same as always, minus the Y-slalom, which was responsible for more than its fair share of helicopter rides in the past.

Please understand that the number one priority and legal responsibility of the Wheelmen is to put on a smooth running and safe weekend of mountain bike racing. If it is more drunken partying, nudity, and fires that you are referring to, take it to spring break. I have enough "incident reports" to fill out as is.

I have enjoyed the past revelries as much as anyone else, but after seeing it from the race director's viewpoint I now understand why we continue to more stringently enforce the rules every year.

#22 ·
Well said Menso. I think this year was a great success. Everyone I talked with had a great time, the races were exciting and the incidents were for the most part rather minor. I think people lack the understanding of just how taxing it can be to put on a race of that size let alone of that caliber. My hat goes off to Menso, Sally and Wojtek for putting on a great race, I know just helping them out was stressful for me. One can only imagine how it was for them.

So once again a big round of applause for the race directors for making a memorable race, and hats off to the great folks who show up and make the race as exciting as it can be.

#23 ·
wondering which trail the DH course is on

I was hoping to do a pre-ride of the course as I don't want to enter and have no idea what the trail is like
is there a certain time frame to do this or can I go to it whenever and do a pre-ride? or is it closed entirely? if it is open, what trail is it and where might I find a map?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.