Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Elixir R lever question

854 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nchiarito 
#1 ·
Instead of "clicking" forward as the push rod disengages from the piston, one of my levers just flops forward... I took the lever/push rod assembly apart and it looks like the end of the push rod is eroded (which is strange because i've ridden them 3 times..).
The same brake (front) is also significantly less powerful than the rear.
So
1) has this happened to anyone else?
2) would the pushrod problem somehow affect performance other than the annoyance of the lever flopping forward? or is it more likely that i just need to bleed the system, maybe some air got into the system when i took the lever off? there was some fluid leaking out the black plastic "snap ring" (I don't know how to describe it... thats what the avid technical manual calls it) also when the lever was off.

#2 ·
If the lever feels mushy, it will need to be bled. If the lever is solid, you may not have bedded the pad material into the rotor yet.

You may have gotten a defective pushrod. You can go to a shop and Avid will send a new one, or you can just buy a new pushrod for cheap.

#4 ·
Having to pull the lever a bit further is unrelated to the power in the brake, but it's definitely annoying. (That's why the CR's come with adjustable pad contact.) It's typical to have a slight difference between the levers when there isn't an adjustment knob, but a good mechanic may be able to help you even them out more.

#5 ·
ooorhfds said:
Instead of "clicking" forward as the push rod disengages from the piston, one of my levers just flops forward
I am not totally sure but I think that I may be experiencing the same problem that you talk about... I just installed some new Elixer CRs and my front brake feels great. However the rear lever assembly I think is experiencing the same problem... When I squeeze the brake, it engages the push rod and is fine. But when I release it, at the point where it disengages the push rod, there is some play before it engages the reach adjustment spring. Is this the same problem you were dealing with? Have you sorted it out? I have not taken apart the assembly yet but may need to...

Anyone have some thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.