Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New guy...literally..

631 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Lukem 
#1 ·
Just thought i'd introduce myself...my name is John and im from south west florida, the epicenter of mountain biking :thumbsup: haha, anyways...I've just recently started "mountain biking", even though down here i guess a more apt description would be "off-roading" or "trail riding"...there is a regional park about 25 minutes away with 11 or so miles of trails...I've been twice in the past 2 weeks, and im starting to get hooked....

For the moment, im using an older schwinn that i "inherited", which has done fine so far, but i am keeping my eyes open, as im sure i'll want to upgrade in the near future...my friend's wife has a shop at a state park a little north of here, and she sells Iron Horse bikes from her store...he said he might be able to get me a good deal on a maverick 3.0, so i might look into that

anyways, i hope to learn alot from this site, because i am a completel noob when it comes to mountain biking (even though i've always enjoyed riding bikes)

-john

#4 ·
Welcome to Dirt Biking!

Good morning!! My first suggestion to a noob is to HAVE FUN!! Learn some basic repairs (flat fix, der adjust, brake adjust, etc) and ask questions. Too bad you live so far or I'd say come by and I'll teach you. I'm a believer in the old phrase about teaching a person to fish and they will eat forever.
Don't get nuts over "needing the BEST bike" My opinion is the "Best Bike" is.......the one you ride!! (MY opinion only, for me).:) I know people with $3,000 or more $$$ bikes that are hanging in the garage and I know "cheapo" bike riders that ride every day......
Before you buy ride a bunch of bikes and go with what feels comfy for yu. Rememeber that seats and stems are changeable, to make a bike fit you, and most shops will do that for you there may be an upgrade fee. Check it out. You will get by far a better bike AND service @ a bike shop than a dept store, but if that's all you can aford, then that is it.
Good luck to you, I wish you FUN!!!:thumbsup:

#6 ·
thanks for the welcome!

it's a friend of mine that just got me into it, i didnt know he rode up until recently, and he used to be fairly competitive...he's had a handful of great bikes, but is now down to 2 bikes...one is a full suspension diamond back (21 speed i think) and the other is a rigid frame (if thats correct terminology) and is a single speed...my first time out, he let me ride both, and my second time (yesterday) i brought my almighty schwinn!!!! hahahahaha

anyways, i'll probably be bringing him with me to check out a few bikes...he's always said that really, you can ride ANYTHING, but some bikes will DEFINATELY outlast others....

that trail is holding some state series races on nov 16th...and one of the races is a "first timers" race, so im gonna keep going back and practicing as much as possible before that weekend, i might enter ;)

*edit* forgot to mention, he's pretty good friends with the local bike shop owner, took me down there last week and introduced me to him (he's the one that told us about the race) so i'll def be going back to him for my bike needs

#7 ·
Great site for advice. Mt. Biking is a great sport to enjoy at most any age. Whatever you ride and whenever you ride it "Have Fun" cuz when you stop having fun you stop riding and then you really loose. MTB riding is a blast but I think the biggest reward is your health. Enjoy the ride! Happy Trails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.