Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

threadless riser adaptor or 130 deg stem?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sir_crackien 
#1 ·
I want to get my bars up a little higher as I am showing quite a bit of seatpost. I am wondering about advantages/ disadvantages of using either a riser adapter or replacing the 100 x 105 deg stem I am using with something like a 135mm x 130 deg?

#3 ·
I'd go with the new stem mainly because it's simpler and (I would imagine) stronger. You might want to consider a new handlebar with a fairly large rise, too. Take a second to look at where your hands will be with the new stem and if you'll end up 20mm or so higher, you could accomplish the same task with a new handlebar (assuming you're riding a flatbar now).

As far as "real" riding, I can only assume this means aggressive trail riding. My opinion on the matter is that if you need the handlebars up that high, you're either 1) not doing aggressive riding but rather easy-going comfort rides, or 2) on the wrong size equipment for your intended purpose and you need to get properly outfitted before you begin a "real" ride.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response. I asked becase I wonder about the strength of a threadless riser. they look kind of iffy to me. As far as "real" riding... I am riding 10 -20 miles on logging roads in a hilly area 3-4 times a week. I am OK with that. Being 6'6" tall, finding the exact dream ride has never been easy. I work at it and eventually I build something up that works for me

#5 ·
hate to say it but your not super tall. i'm 6'5" and for the most part have to problems finding bikes that fit me well and have a good bar height.

some things to remember is that for xc your bars should be lower than your saddle. the same goes for AM and a FR bike when you are pedaling.

BTW steerer tube extensions and high riser stems are NOT safe for offload riding. you are actually much better off using a riser bar. keep in mind though that not all bars are created equal, you will need to get a quality bar to be safe

post a pic of your bike. for that point we might be better able to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.