Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roel's Olympic bike

4K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  nathanbal 
#1 ·
Found some info on a Dutch site on Roel Paulissens Olympic Scalpel. See

http://www.fiets.nl/news.asp?NewsId=1888&NewsCatId=5

Scalpel frame, bare carbon to save 200grms, DT XR shock, 88Tuned DLR110 wih thinner lower leg and no air filter (a red tube takes care of that function). To round of Mavic prototype carbon wheels suited for tubes.

Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Awesome bike! Where can I order a Lefty Opi? ;) Do I read that correctly? One Piece Integration?
As soon as they are available, I ...
BTW wouldn't that be High Modulus Carbon on the frame instead of the regular carbon? Removing paint or lack is not enough I think to save 200 grams...
Kayba

#10 ·
Kayba said:
Awesome bike! Where can I order a Lefty Opi? ;) Do I read that correctly? One Piece Integration?
As soon as they are available, I ...
BTW wouldn't that be High Modulus Carbon on the frame instead of the regular carbon? Removing paint or lack is not enough I think to save 200 grams...
Kayba
It's not only paint, the filler material that goes into the little holes and cavities weighs a bit more.

#12 ·
Brad said:
I believe the Scalpel is already made from the high modulus carbon. Next year the Rush will be made from the same carbon.
I doubt the scalpel is made from true high modulus carbon. That is somewhat of a buzzword in the bike industry. True high modulus carbon is very expensive and not very practical to build a bike out of due to its lack of strength. Some bikes will use it sparingly to stiffen up certain areas without adding much weight.

This particular bike may use more of it than normal due to the fact that it needs to survive only one race under a very elite racer.

#16 ·
Dan Gerous said:
Saves 16 grams each end...
I'm sure eliflap is dremeling out his IS adaptors as we speak! :p
Save a few more grams if they went for a Post mount frame with ti bolts instead of an adaptor, and it would be stiffer…:yesnod:

Shame the Avid's would still need an adaptor anyway but it's a cool bike.:thumbsup:

#20 ·
According to our sales rep the 09 Scalpel gets more high modulus carbon than in 08 to save some weight, although he thought it was less than 100g saved. That very well could be a special production frame, as Cannondale do their own carbon lay up in house they could easily change the layup.
According to my brother (who has a PhD in composites and works in aerospace) the problem with very high modulus carbon is it is more brittle and vulnerable to damage as well as having less flexibility, so it may not be suitable for general use, but as others have pointed out for a bike that only needs to last for one race..........

Kevin

#24 ·
de lars cuevas said:
I like the raw carbon.

But can somebody please explain the "air filter" part for me?
Well, you know there is an air filter on every Lefty (big rubbery bulge above the boot, allows air to get in and out as the inside volume of the Lefty reduces and increases when it gets compressed and extended again).

This Lefty doesn't have the filter, air gets in and out by the space taken by the little tube down the boot. It works to let air moving in and out but it allows dirt and water to get in much more easily so the Lefty durability and time between rebuild is greatly reduced. I'm sure Roel's mechanic is on top of things though but for us, it would be a pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.