Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Van Dessel Jersey Devil FS

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Nater 
#1 ·
So I've searched a bit for some information on the frame / bike and I've found some older stuff but nothing too recent.

Does anyone own one or have some experience with them? I like the HT version of the bike, but wondering how the FS rides.

I've been looking to pick up a new 29'er and have narrowed down to a few options and came across this.

First option is a new Salsa Dos Niner, now while not a true FS rig by any means, I've owned a previous generation and loved it. I know what to expect here.

The other two options that really interest me are the Voodoo Canzo and the Jersey Devil FS.

Most important ride characteristics are a firm pedaling platform that has some plushness to it. Handling is important, as long as the bike isn't "floppy" I'd be happy.

I'm thinking of running a Magic / Fluid TA 110 for a fork, as I love the TA option. The rest of the bike will be setup 1x9, a good light weight wheelset, formula k24 brakes, and a few other decent bits and pieces.

So I'd love to hear some opinions, and look at any other options.

I also wouldn't be too adverse to going to a HT rig, but if I did that it would be a Mamasita with no questions asked.

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you like Salsa, I would say that it is worth taking a look at the new Big Mamma. It certainly has caught my eye. I have read one or two good reviews. I think the frame is already available for about $1435 but a full build will only be available next year or something.

Ronnie.

#3 ·
Ronnie said:
If you like Salsa, I would say that it is worth taking a look at the new Big Mamma. It certainly has caught my eye. I have read one or two good reviews. I think the frame is already available for about $1435 but a full build will only be available next year or something.

Ronnie.
That is another good option. I did not think that the big mama was available though. Hmm will have to look!

#4 ·
I test rode a Jersey Devil FS at NEMBAFest last year. Even though it was too big for me (size large, I ride medium) I still had a great time and it convinced me that a 29er was for me.

It handled great, rolled over everything, and climbed like a bat. It was pretty stiff, although I'm not sure how well it was tuned for my weight.

I'd see if they are demoing in your area anytime soon.

#7 ·
I've been looking at the Van Dessel bikes for a while now. I'm also in the market for a FS 29" bike and I live about seven miles from the Van Dessel showroom in Morristown, New Jersey. On paper there are just a few things that I do not like and have been reluctant to take it further. It is my opinion but I feel the design of the Jersey Devil FS is very old fashioned. It is a simple single pivot which is probably heavily dependant on some kind of pedal platform, unlike the likes of the Salsa Big Mama or Niner RIP. The Van Dessel website does not give stand over heights but I'll bet it's not great with it's straight top tube, especially for people with shorter legs. Most modern full suspension 29" bikes today take this into account by shaping the top tube. Another thing that I personally dislike a lot is the cable routing over the top tube. It is going to be painful, not if but when, you have to jump of the seat in hurry and those cable guides get you.

Ronnie.

#8 ·
Ronnie said:
I've been looking at the Van Dessel bikes for a while now. I'm also in the market for a FS 29" bike and I live about seven miles from the Van Dessel showroom in Morristown, New Jersey. On paper there are just a few things that I do not like and have been reluctant to take it further. It is my opinion but I feel the design of the Jersey Devil FS is very old fashioned. It is a simple single pivot which is probably heavily dependant on some kind of pedal platform, unlike the likes of the Salsa Big Mama or Niner RIP. The Van Dessel website does not give stand over heights but I'll bet it's not great with it's straight top tube, especially for people with shorter legs. Most modern full suspension 29" bikes today take this into account by shaping the top tube. Another thing that I personally dislike a lot is the cable routing over the top tube. It is going to be painful, not if but when, you have to jump of the seat in hurry and those cable guides get you.

Ronnie.
I agree for the most part. I have no issue with a single pivot. I've ridden a superlight forever and it wasnt horrible, and if I am not mistaken the frame looks to come with an RP23 which you can at least get some level of platform if you need it.

I'm probably leaning a bit towards a Canzo at the moment as they seem to be pretty decent and most seem to like them. I may end up just waiting until Salsa gives up the Big Mama, even though its a bit more pricey it may just do what I want.

Hmm choices choices!

#9 ·
I was looking into the Devil a little while back. There doesn't seem to be much info out there, but one of the things that concerned me was reportedly poor rear tire clearance. I read somewhere that despite the hollowed out area on the seat tube, larger tires can still rub. I agree standover looks pretty tall, something else I'm not keen on. I have not ridden one, just passing along second hand info.

#10 ·
monty797 said:
I agree for the most part. I have no issue with a single pivot. I've ridden a superlight forever and it wasnt horrible, and if I am not mistaken the frame looks to come with an RP23 which you can at least get some level of platform if you need it.

I'm probably leaning a bit towards a Canzo at the moment as they seem to be pretty decent and most seem to like them. I may end up just waiting until Salsa gives up the Big Mama, even though its a bit more pricey it may just do what I want.

Hmm choices choices!
I have an Intense 5point5 which is VPP and getting rid of the platform shock was the best thing I could have done. I came off a single pivot before that and having a fully supple suspension at all times is liberating. I see that the standard shock on the Salsa Big Mama is a non-platform Fox so it probably does not need platform damping. I just love the design and detail that seems to have gone into the Salsa. Small details like the post mount rear brake shows me that they took a lot of trouble designing the frame. I have had no experience with Salsa before but I'm thinking of taking a chance with this one.

Did you read through the link on Twenty Nine Inches? He said that the frame should be available in September.

Ronnie.

#11 ·
I've been riding a medium Jersey Devil FS for a few months now. I use it primarily as my endurance race bike. It handles great for me and the fit and geometry is perfect (5'10").

Hopefully I can answer some of these questions.

Standover
With a F29 100 and Bontrager Dry X 2.1 tires, the top tube where the seat tube meets measures 29.5". At the tip of my saddle, the top tube height measures 30.75".

Suspension
I'm not a suspension pro, but I don't believe this qualifies as a single pivot design. There's a pivot by the bottom bracket as well as on the rear of the chainstay. Add in two more on the rocker. I believe this is what they call a 4-bar?

Two of the pivots (rear of rocker and rear of chainstay) do not use bearings. Instead they use bushings. I'd prefer bearings for the smoothness, but I guess bushings are lighter, and they come with some built in dampening (I guess).

Tire Clearance
Again with a Bontrager Dry X 2.1, there is approximately 3/8" clearance on the sides and about the same for the top of the tire.

Conclusion?
I do find it a little flexy in the rear, especially compared to my Chumba XCL. Maybe it's just in need of some new hardware and bearings? Speaking of which - the bearings are pretty standard, but I may have a hard time sourcing the bolts. They are shoulder bolts, and the ones at the bottom bracket pivot are chamfered.

And lastly, it's funny that the Salsa Big Mama was mentioned because I'll be picking up one of those when it comes out.

Oh - almost forgot. There's a large Jersey Devil on eBay now w/o shock.

https://cgi.ebay.com/VAN-DESSEL-JER...285028741QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120285028741

It'll probably go for about $250 I reckon.

#12 ·
dubjay said:
I've been riding a medium Jersey Devil FS for a few months now. I use it primarily as my endurance race bike. It handles great for me and the fit and geometry is perfect (5'10").

Hopefully I can answer some of these questions.

Standover
With a F29 100 and Bontrager Dry X 2.1 tires, the top tube where the seat tube meets measures 29.5". At the tip of my saddle, the top tube height measures 30.75".

Suspension
I'm not a suspension pro, but I don't believe this qualifies as a single pivot design. There's a pivot by the bottom bracket as well as on the rear of the chainstay. Add in two more on the rocker. I believe this is what they call a 4-bar?

Two of the pivots (rear of rocker and rear of chainstay) do not use bearings. Instead they use bushings. I'd prefer bearings for the smoothness, but I guess bushings are lighter, and they come with some built in dampening (I guess).

Tire Clearance
Again with a Bontrager Dry X 2.1, there is approximately 3/8" clearance on the sides and about the same for the top of the tire.

Conclusion?
I do find it a little flexy in the rear, especially compared to my Chumba XCL. Maybe it's just needs some new hardware and bearings? Speaking of which - the bearings are pretty standard, but I may have a hard time sourcing the bolts. They are shoulder bolts, and the ones at the bottom bracket pivot are chamfered.

And lastly, it's funny that the Salsa Big Mama was mentioned because I'll be picking up one of those when it comes out.

Oh - almost forgot. There's a large Jersey Devil on eBay now w/o shock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VAN-DESSEL-JERS...285028741QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120285028741

It'll probably go for about $250 I reckon.
Thanks for the info Dubjay, that is exactly what I was waiting for. The Salsa does look like a fantastic offering no doubt, I'll probably hold off for a little bit before I jump right into a new frame design, I like to wait just a little bit, but once a few get out in people's hands I may not be able to restrain myself heh!

#13 ·
dubjay said:
Suspension

It is indeed a single pivot suspension. A single pivot is defined as having a rear axle path that is the arc of a circle around a point. That point being the pivot at the bottom bracket. The pivot on the seat stays is above the rear axle and therefore does not affect the path of the rear axle.

Ronnie.

#16 ·
It is indeed a Horst link design

Ronnie said:
It is indeed a single pivot suspension. A single pivot is defined as having a rear axle path that is the arc of a circle around a point. That point being the pivot at the bottom bracket. The pivot on the seat stays is above the rear axle and therefore does not affect the path of the rear axle.

Ronnie.
As a Horst link (like the Specialized Stumpy 29er) it has 2 pivots between the bottom the axle, so it is not a single pivot. Your definition was right, it just does not apply to this bike.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.