Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Did I pick the right bike?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Zee916 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the bad ass mountain bikes, so HI!!!!. I've ridden in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Idaho but I just bought my first nice bike.

I decided on the FSR XC Comp by Specialized from what the salesman at the store said. Did some research online too.

I live in Dallas, and want to be able to just do normal trails with a moderate level of riding but definately some hard stuff. No downhilling, no crazy jumping or cliffs or crazy gnarly stuff.

I do have a place in Durango, Colorado as well so I want to be able to take it there as well.

My friend said the bike could blowout in hard conditions b/c of lack of travel... Should I worry about this? To me it seemed the bike is fine for what I want but he said something about a Stumpjumper HT which is similar price I think.

Did I make a good call. I really liked how light and nimble it was plus the red and white was a cool color scheme.

Did I make the right call? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

See less See more
#2 ·
it's the right choice

I have no idea what your 'friend' means: "blowout in hard conditions b/c of lack of travel",
but for your riding style you've chosen very well, IMHO.

I did blow a seal in the shock last fall, but that was riding it very hard in mountain conditions at Whistler Bike Park; the bike handled extremely well considering it was out of place there.

Jim

#5 ·
Nope, he won't blow through

the travel; the only risk for the Fox shock is repeated hits on high speed bumps, i.e. braking bumps. Friction (heat) causes the seals to fail. He will be fine otherwise, if I can do it for a day at Whistler BP and 200lb with gear, he'll do even better in CO etc.

Jim

#6 ·
Your friend is full of ****

I have a 3" travel full suspension bike that I have ridden in all kinds of rocky, technical terrain. That bike is a great choice for the riding you will be doing.

It reminds of a time when I was in Moab and saw two guys on brand new full suspension bikes at the bottom of a climb. (this is before full suspension was as common as it is today) They hollered out that my buddy and I better stop and adjust our suspension for the more technical terrain ahead. (never mind that we were on hardtails with minimal fork adjustment options anyway) During the day we saw them a couple more times beside the trail after we had looped back to ride another area. There they were making sure their suspension was set up just right for whatever terrain they were about to ride. Meanwhile, their other buddy on his fully rigid old beater was ahead of those two idiots all day long and having the time of his life. He was riding and enjoying the scenery while they were fretting over their suspension, too funny.

Enjoy your new bike, it's a most excellent choice. :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.