Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I Replace this brake housing? Pics of gash...

900 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  phlakvest 
#1 · (Edited)
I just noticed this on my bike...I can see the threads of the inner layer and it worries me because brakes are, well, important!

No fluid leaks when I pull it...suggestions?

Should it start leaking, what are the best steel braided lines available? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
kuksul08 said:
I just noticed this on my bike...I can see the threads of the inner layer and it worries me because brakes are, well, important!

No fluid leaks when I pull it...suggestions?

Should it start leaking, what are the best steel braided cables available? Thanks
I have never seen a steel cable leak. I do not see a cable in the pic either. Housing...

#5 ·
If it's a hydraulic line....

replace it! It may or may not start leaking. If it's simple cable housing you can leave it without much worry. But it wouldn't hurt anything to replace it.

Since you asked about steel braided lines I am assuming that it's a hydro line for a hydarulic disc brake? Goodridge makes about the best lines going.

Oh and in the future please be more specific with your questions. While a picture is worth a thousand words, those particular pictures don't explain what we are looking at other than a gouged hydro line or cable housing, could be either one. And as above, each has a different answer.

Good Dirt

#6 ·
SJensen said:
though you know what he means, yet, you still reply with a pointless post? forget about trying to educate, smartass goes to the top of the priority list. :thumbsup:
And you answered his question? Other than to rattle shiggy's cage, why did you even bother posting?

Good Dirt

#12 ·
SJensen said:
though you know what he means, yet, you still reply with a pointless post? forget about trying to educate, smartass goes to the top of the priority list. :thumbsup:
Mr. Jensen, There is no way to know if the brake that housing/line is attached to is a cable or hydro brake. To get proper answers you must use proper terms and provide enough information. The OP has been around here long enough to know that. Educating is more than just serving up the answers. If you can learn to think about the problem you can not only get the answer but understand why and how it is the answer.

#13 ·
So is Chain Reaction Cycles the only place I can get the lines? I can't find them elsewhere...

Shiggy - You can easily infer from my post that I'm referring to a hydraulic system with words like "leak" and "fluid". :nono: Instead of making a big deal out of it and trying to establish some e-status, you could try a little common sense first.

#15 ·
kuksul08 said:
So is Chain Reaction Cycles the only place I can get the lines? I can't find them elsewhere...

Shiggy - You can easily infer from my post that I'm referring to a hydraulic system with words like "leak" and "fluid". :nono: Instead of making a big deal out of it and trying to establish some e-status, you could try a little common sense first.
Go to a bike shop.

#16 ·
kuksul08 said:

Read this one carefully Mr. Shiggy. Would not want to miss important things like "leak" and "fluid."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.