Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona Dawg or Coiler/Coilair (both deluxe)

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  moshelove 
#1 ·
Between the Kona Dawg or Coiler/Coilair (both being a deluxe or doesn't matter) which would be a better bike for all mountain.
I plan on using the bike for uphill climbs that can get me up there pretty fast and go downhill with good handling and speed. I am getting into all mountain riding and i would just want to know which bike would be more suited for me. I weigh 140 pounds and am 16 years old. would the kona dawg be able to handle some abuse from drops(how many feet perhaps?), and how much of a difference of abuse compared between the two? Is the coiler vs coilair a big difference between the rear shocks or does it not matter? Is having the 65.7 head angle on the coilair completely ruining the climbs, or is it still capable of going uphill.

I would like to hear your opinions and thanks for helping me out.

#2 ·
kso said:
Between the Kona Dawg or Coiler/Coilair (both being a deluxe or doesn't matter) which would be a better bike for all mountain.
I plan on using the bike for uphill climbs that can get me up there pretty fast and go downhill with good handling and speed. I am getting into all mountain riding and i would just want to know which bike would be more suited for me. I weigh 140 pounds and am 16 years old. would the kona dawg be able to handle some abuse from drops(how many feet perhaps?), and how much of a difference of abuse compared between the two? Is the coiler vs coilair a big difference between the rear shocks or does it not matter? Is having the 65.7 head angle on the coilair completely ruining the climbs, or is it still capable of going uphill.

I would like to hear your opinions and thanks for helping me out.
65.7 seems pretty slack, but maybe that's in the long travel mode (the coilair has the magic-link adjusting geometry) If you don't mind a couple extra pounds, do the coilair. It's designed to climb, too, but if you ever decide you want to do some FR/DH runs, you won't have to wish you brought a bigger bike.

#3 ·
I agree with ALEXIT. If you dont mind a few extra pounds go for the Coilair. I have the Dawg and LOVE it!!!! I ride mostly Am with a bunch of tech descents and drops, and I love to climb. Since I do alot of climbing, I bought the Dawg, but I really feel the Dawg can handle almost anything you can throw it off of. It is very confidence building. In other words, you can't go wrong with either frame. Good luck!!!

#4 ·
It depends where you want to go with your riding. The way I look at it was the Dawg is a beefed up XC bike, whereas the Coiler/Coilair is a slimmed down freeride bike. I bought an '06 Dawg a few years ago, and 6 months later I was wishing I had held out for a Coiler.

My $0.02

#5 ·
Had an 06 Dawg Supreme, rode it for 4 months then sold it to buy an 07 Coiler. The Coiler is quite capable at climbing, even with a shorty 55mm stem. IMO the Dawg is a great bike, but it had some limitations that I was not able to live with so I bought a bike that had everything I wanted and more.

FWIW, my only complaint with the Dawg lineup is the lack of tire clearence. You cannot with any clear conscience run a tire larger than a 2.2 (MAxxis 2.35) in the back and I wanted a bike that could at least run a true 2.35 (Kenda Excavator). My 07 Coiler will easily fit a 2.5, plus I also have the option to run a 12mm through axle which is a big plus.

#6 ·
thanks for your opinions guys. it really helps narrowing down which bike may fit me better. I will probably start lookin more into the kona coilair. Any ideas if the coiler or coilair is that big of a difference(between rear shocks)?

#8 ·
coilair all the way. You will have more fun riding it as it will be more capable of nastiness. It will still climb all day. Do yourself a favor and don't put gigantic DH tires on there. Keep it to a 2.3 folding tire and you will be rolling fast and having fun.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.