Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sweetwater (San Diego) - 5 months after the fires

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 ·
This is a ride report that really needs few words. It was so beautiful, I cried. So without further ado, here is my ride. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It's been about five months since the San Diego fires. I went out to Sweetwater Reservoir to climb Mama Miguel and see what effect the winter rains and spring sunshine had on the mountain. I was stunned. The regenerative powers of nature never cease to amaze me...

Mt Miguel in the distance, from the top of Mama Miguel, March 2008.

I'd never seen the aftermath of a forest fire...

For comparison, I'm posting my photos from October alongside recent ones taken at about the same spot.

Oct 2007 - residence at the edge of the flames. Any lands that are still golden were not burned in the fires.

Mar 2008

Oct 2007 - bird overcome by smoke; we put the stones around him because it seemed wrong just to leave him

Mar 2008 - birds hear me coming and take to flight

Oct 2007 - hard-fought battle by the powerplant

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008 - same place; follow the trail up the hill

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

Oct 2007

Mar 2008

This report is dedicated to the firefighters and others who fought for the Reservior, our homes, and all we hold dear. Thank you.
-sunny

My original ride report from one week after the fires can be found on my blog, The Bruise Chronicles.
(the post-fires ride edition): https://bruisechronicles.blogspot.com/2007/10/tuesday-ride-103007-through-fire-area.html

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice to see the recovery come along so fast. We had a pretty nasty fire here in Los Alamos, NM about 8 years ago. The densely forestest mountains just outside of town were burned pretty severly. Eight years later, the recovery is progressing, but it's slow. Trees that once were hundreds of feet tall are now 3-5' tall. But, there is beauty to be found watching the land rebound.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Amazing Post.

Thanks so much for the tour. Up here in the Northwest, we unfortunately see scenes like this every few years. Riding through the burn is always an eye-opening experience. Viewing the contrasting green on black makes me thank mother nature for being able to repair herself for us. Take Care

db

#12 ·
Great to see natures healing powers at work...

Interesting that some areas of flora and fauna require fire to regenerate things so to speak. Not so much your area, but none the less, really pleasing to see...

I rode with some SD yokals in the area where there had been fires, the stark remains can be a harsh reminder.....

#13 ·
Thanks Sunny!

I live off Campo Rd. right across the street from the Sweetwater Federal Wildlife Preserve. Fire came within a quarter mile of my house. Many of us lucky ones have friends that were not so lucky. Fire fighters from other states came to help our fire fighters. Again, we thank them all for their hard work.

After the fires there was nothing much left alive. We saw very few birds, rabbits, coyotes. Nothing alive except along the outside edges of the burn. We rode through the burnt trees and bushes that continued to smolder for a couple weeks. The ground and rocks stayed hot to the touch for several days after the fire.

Now, so many flowers, bugs, jackrabbits and reptiles. The flourishing little animals restarts the food chain for the larger predators. The sage is sprouting from the dead branches. Nature proceeds thru the circle of life.

I think I'll just blow off the rest of my work day and go for a ride :D

Chris in Sweetwater

#14 ·
Incredible photo essay, thank you!

Did you look at the Oct 07 pics and then try and go back for new shots, or do you ride that often enough that you know it so well to take the photos?

Yes, fire is a tragedy in the man's world, but it is restorative in natures' scheme, as others have stated. What a dramatic way to show us that restoration, thank you again.

#16 ·
slocaus said:
Incredible photo essay, thank you!

Did you look at the Oct 07 pics and then try and go back for new shots, or do you ride that often enough that you know it so well to take the photos?
Thanks!

It didn't occur to me to look at the '07 shots before I went on my ride in March. Back in late October when I wrote the initial Sweetwater ride report after the fires, I re-read it many times. I have a good memory for details, so a couple weeks ago when I rode Sweetwater again, I tried to stop for photos in places that I had shot previously. I had no idea I would be shooting so many pictures that would be so close to the same location and perspective as before. That was good fortune. :)

I've only ridden there 4 times. Once before the fire, once right after, and then twice last March.

#17 ·
sunnyracegirl said:
Thanks!

It didn't occur to me to look at the '07 shots before I went on my ride in March. Back in late October when I wrote the initial Sweetwater ride report after the fires, I re-read it many times. I have a good memory for details, so a couple weeks ago when I rode Sweetwater again, I tried to stop for photos in places that I had shot previously. I had no idea I would be shooting so many pictures that would be so close to the same location and perspective as before. That was good fortune. :)

I've only ridden there 4 times. Once before the fire, once right after, and then twice last March.
Wow, amazing memory, And I like the sleeping bike photo too...:thumbsup:

cheers

HTR

#18 ·
sunnyracegirl said:
Thanks!

God fortune for you, serendipity for us. One of the most dramatic posts I have seen on MTBR. Zowie! You done good. :D :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.