Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2x9 front derailleur help

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  EuroMack 
#1 ·
I am in search of the best WW front der option for my Spark. It has a 73mm BB and I am using a FRM Integral X-type crankset, which currently has a triple spider installed (I will eventually get the double spider or the new dual spider/ring setup).

I mounted a braze-on Ultregra 6600 just to see if it would work and 1) the throw of the der is not enough to hit the outer ring and 2) the cage is two narrow for a 9 speed chain. Sure it kinda works but the chain is constantly rubbing the cage so it's too annoying.

So is my best option to use a Dura Ace 7703? The braze-on version is over 100 grams, so with a normal clamp, it would approach XTR weights. There must be a better way. Please help.

#2 ·
i am trying to get a force fd on my spark, but it looks questionable at best. i am using a standard triple crank and just removing the small ring. i think your best option is to use a mtb fd. maybe with a double crank it will move the chainline in enough for a road set up, but i will me attempting to modify my fd to make it work. good luck

#5 ·
Do you use grishift shifters? I use it with a road fd braze-on without any problem. You only need to use a road double 9speed fd (you can easily found one on ebay for a good price if you don't have one) and change the adjust bolts for longer ones and then you can reach the outer chainring and you have a double road fd working on a triple mtb crankset :D

#6 ·
I am already using gripshift and the cage is still too narrow. If you trim the cage one way, it is rubs on one side of the chain, and when you trim it the other way, it rubs the other side of the chain. The 2x10 cage is just too narrow for a 9 speed chain.

Does anyone know if a 3x10 der cage is wider than a 2x10?

#9 ·
9s road will work!!

williford said:
I am already using gripshift and the cage is still too narrow. If you trim the cage one way, it is rubs on one side of the chain, and when you trim it the other way, it rubs the other side of the chain. The 2x10 cage is just too narrow for a 9 speed chain. see picture below which shows it in detail!

Does anyone know if a 3x10 der cage is wider than a 2x10?
the 9s road deraileurs will work.
10s cages are narrower than the older 9s versions.

i use a FD-7700 (9 speed Dura Ace) since about 8 years now and never had any problems. get a lightweight adapter clamp and 2 aluminium bolts for the clamping so you get it to weigh just 86g as seen in the picture. the standard shimano adapter clamp weighs almost 30g so all the weight advantage over a standard XTR FD-M950 would be gone.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks

nino said:
the 9s road deraileurs will work.
10s cages are narrower than the older 9s versions.

i use a FD-7700 (9 speed Dura Ace) since about 8 years now and never had any problems. get a lightweight adapter clamp and 2 aluminium bolts for the clamping so you get it to weigh just 86g as seen in the picture. the standard shimano adapter clamp weighs almost 30g so all the weight advantage over a standard XTR FD-M950 would be gone.
What kind of clamp is that? I know the Parlee is the lightest, but it's pretty expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.