Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

sustained energy and stomach problems

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Infinit2 
#1 ·
What's the trick to using hammer nutrition's sustained energy for rides longer than three hours without throwing up? The same thing happens with perpetuem. I bought a large container of SE and was hoping to use it for a 12 hour race next month.

Any tips?

#2 ·
I've found that, as long as it's cool enough, a double or even triple strength bottle of Perp works well for me. I carry a pack or additional bottle filled with plain water. For some reason, I find it more palatable in the higher concentrations; also, I spend most of my time drinking just the water. When it's hot, the stuff get's grim fast.

That's more to address the taste/fueling question, though, rather than stomach problems. You might give that a try since you've got it on hand. The other issue would be the logistics of carrying possibly an extra bottle if you're doing a lap race.

#3 ·
Water will aid digestion. Alway chase SE or Perpeteum with water immediately after you drink it. For my last couple of races, I've been mixing Perpeteum with a small amount of water to form a paste/gel consistency, then drinking it out of a gel flask. You can carry higher quantities of mix and you only need to stop to top off your bottles with water. But however you mix it, always drink water after.

#4 ·
As much as I like, and still use Perpetuem and Sustained Energy, I have also experienced stomach issues. For me, I need to use Perpetuem in smaller amounts, mixed in with other types of food. The more "regular" the other types of food, the better. It seems that when I try to fuel exclusively with Perpetuem (or Sustained Energy) I get to the point where my stomach "shots off" or I start to get queasy. Try mixing in some other food between sips of Perp or SE. I hope that helps.

#7 ·
cornfish said:
As much as I like, and still use Perpetuem and Sustained Energy, I have also experienced stomach issues. For me, I need to use Perpetuem in smaller amounts, mixed in with other types of food. The more "regular" the other types of food, the better. It seems that when I try to fuel exclusively with Perpetuem (or Sustained Energy) I get to the point where my stomach "shots off" or I start to get queasy. Try mixing in some other food between sips of Perp or SE. I hope that helps.
I guess whatever works, but I can't see how adding more carbs in the form of food on top of a carb drink that you're already finding difficult to digest would help in any way.

For the OP, check the Hammer site.

#10 ·
tranquilo said:
I guess whatever works, but I can't see how adding more carbs in the form of food on top of a carb drink that you're already finding difficult to digest would help in any way.

For the OP, check the Hammer site.
I wasn't talking about adding carbs, but replacing carbs with different types. I just raced solo in Moab, and used a bottle with one scoop of Perpetuem, and one scoop of Heed per lap. For a lap averaging about an hour and a half, that is about 18-20 ounces of water (after some volume in the bottle is taken up by the powder) and about 230 calories. I also ride with a small camelback with water (or maybe water and some NUUN). If you look at Hammer guidlines, that leaves anywhere from 70-100 calories deficit for that much riding time. If I make up the difference in my transitions with a couple bites of fruit, Hammer Bars, Chicken noodle soup, A bite of a sandwich, etc. I am taking in the right amount of calories for me. The camelback keeps on track for hydration without taking in extra calories if I need that.

My point was that for me, mixing in different types of FOOD, not engineered fuels, is what keeps my stomach "active". I am not recommending taking in more calories than suggested on Hammers website, or any other for that matter. For me it comes down to the right mixture and balance of fuels. I am 6'1" 175 lbs just for the record. Hopefully the clarification helps. Good luck.

#11 ·
The Hammer products don't mix well with anything that has simple sugars such as normal gels. Are you eating other things with it? Too many calories will also cause stomach problems. I don't go much over 250 calories and hour and even when I'm fit I'm 170 pounds. I've gone for over 30 hours with nearly all my calories from SE or Perpetuem.

Another thing is SE doesn't have a lot of electrolytes. Perpetuem has a bit more but still not enough if it's warm. They put in the minimum amount so you can take Endurolytes and get the right amount for you. Being low on electrolytes can cause stomach issues.

I do have problems with Perpetuem in races under 10 hours and mix it with SE or HEED. I also don't like Perpetuem when it gets warm and will mix the bottle the night before and then freeze it so it stays cold as long as possible.

#12 ·
Perpetuem works really well for me.

Here is how I set up my calorie intake for an all day ride - 7 to 9 hours. I'm 170 pounds:
4 really big scoops perpetuem in a large water bottle (about 600 calories)
flask full of hammer gel (450-550 calories)
2-3 cliff bars (250 calories each) I have not tried the Hammer bars yet.

I start in the morning without eating any breakfast. This keeps my stomach from having to work hard digesting other stuff. I then take a sip of perp every 15 minutes followed by a good drink of water. After about 1.5 - 2 hours I will start rotating gel and perp - still a little bit every 15 minutes. When I take a rest I'll eat a bar. I let the bar digest for at least half an hour before I start sipping the perp and gel again.
You have got to keep hydrating with water. I try to get in at least 15-20 ounces an hour.

After about 5 hours I start feeling not so hungry but my energy and stomach are still going.

I agree with everyone when they say really warm perpetuem will mess with your gag reflex. Got to keep it cold in the middle of summer. I have been using perpetuem for 2-3 years – maybe over time I have acclimated well to it.

#13 · (Edited)
I gave up Perpetuem, mainly because it tastes like azz, and makes me nauseated.

The only thing close, was to mix orange flavored Cyrstal light with it, to "un-azz" the taste.

When it got warm, I may as well have stuck a pen in my mouth & tickled the gag replex myself...

I used to use it, trying to stick it out because of it's nutritional profile.

But if it tastes like butt, and makes me feel sick, I gotta move on.

I concur with Namrita...she hit it right on the head:

"there's no secret...just try something different if it doesn't work for you. there's plenty of other good products on the market. i absolutely cannot stomach hammer products after a couple hours...i kept trying different combinations, ratios, eventually i just gave up and my stomach is much happier."

Just my .02...

#14 ·
If the regular Perpetuem taste bothers you, you need to try the unflavored. Much better than the regular in my eyes.

I have switched to the unflavored with good results. I was able to do a 6 hour bottle of regular flavor but have better results now with the unflavored.

But, like stated before, everyone is an experiment of one and you should always work on finding out what works for you.

#15 ·
I ditched the Perp this year

And felt better. gels, bananas, peanut butter, Cliff bloks, Heed, cytomax work fine but last year when i tried to use perp & hammer gel exclusively my stomach rebelled, had nausea, cramps, lack of energy. I also might eat portions of a protein bar throughout a long ride.

#17 ·
I've used Sustained Energy for years on longer rides. I'll mix 2 parts SE with 1 part Heed in a bottle. Try 2 parts Heed with 1 part SE, also. I also use a concentrated SE paste in a flask and then drink just water with it.

#19 ·
mkraus said:
Have any of you tried Infinit Nutrition? We make a customized drink. No need for gels, salt tabs or anything else. You get exactly what you need nutritionaly, with your choice of flavor and adjust that flavor to the strength/weakness you like. Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to help.
I've been using the Infinit Nutrition drinks for several months now, after giving up on Perp and Heed. So far so good. There are several things I like about the products. The ability to create your own mix depending on several key factors like sweat rate, body size, conditions, length or type of race is a big plus. The biggest for me though is it's flexibility. It plays well with other products. During endurance races, my needs change, and with Infinit, I don't have to worry about other products not mixing well with my sports drink. If I start cramping or getting behind with my carbs, I can catch up. This simply wasn't possible with maltodextrin only drinks, especially in the heat...and I tried very hard. Overcalorie, undercalorie, whatever. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that the "no simple sugars" mantra just doesn't work for me. I'm 6' 2" 180lbs and need alot of calories. I buy into it while not exercising, but during intense endurance stuff, give me a banana(fresh fruit has multiple sugar sources ie. simple and complex) and infinit. Actually, anything and infinit. I do use other Hammer products with success though.

For the record, I'm not sponsored by anyone except me. And I too echo Namrita's advice on searching around until you find something that works for you. We are all different.

#20 ·
tried it, dumped it, try GU2O products

i tried to make perpetum and se work. tried and tried. followed directions on usage, no simple sugars, etc... and i always wanted to puke by hr 4 or 5. others i've known have tried the products and only a small portion of folks have stuck w/p or se... in the end have found slow-burning sugars to be the best - GU2O Sports Products have worked so much better, are fructose based, so burn nice and slow - and allow you to eat or drink anything while using them for main fuel source.

#21 ·
Infinite

maybe this is a good product but I am not into getting a degree in nutrition. I don't want to make my own mixes, unless there are some simple guidlines/formulas. Do they make pre-mixed formulas & how do they work? And, will they mix well with other foods like Salted Nut Rolls?? :)

#23 ·
I see the questions

However, I am not the expert on nutrition so I am not sure what the answers are supposed to be. For example one question asks how much protein you want. Another asks how much electrolytes. I don't really know the asnwers to those questions, I'd rely on an expert to tell me. I'd probably go with sometihing similar to Perp. or Accelerade, but I don't know the formulas.

#25 ·
Heat and Perp / SE don't mix well for me

I love Perp and SE until it gets to about 70 deg F. Then it kills me, my stomach turns and it is over.

This year I switched back to mainly Hammer Gel. I'll add a Clif Bar about 4-5 hours in. Eat half and two hours or so later eat the other half. Add more bars if you ride longer than 8 hours.

Three events and no issues.

Last year, two events and stomach issues both times with Perp/SE.

#26 ·
Couldn't help it, had to jump in on this conversation! Looks like Michael has introduced our product, Infint Nutrition, but I thought I would add to what he said. The reason we came up with this product was because we as athletes had many similar problems as you all do. Its very difficult to get everything we need for long distance endurance stuff by just eating what people tell us to eat. The products either taste terrible, don't have enough calories, don't digest(gut rot), to much protein, not enough protein, etc... We tried to take the guess work out of all this and provide a platform that everyone could use and get exactly what they need in a simple liquid format and most importantly have it taste good too. We start out by having our clients fill out a simple questionaire (I promise you don't have to be a nutritionist to fill this out). Based on your answers we will figure out caloric needs. There is a electrolyte slider that we set for you(females at one level and Males at another) if you are extreme sweaters that can be adjusted. We find most athletes do find with initial settings. We use three different carbs. As an athlete multiple carbs can provide up to 30% more energy. We do strongly disagree with the science of one carb. Recent studies support that. Most importantly we have and osmolality number that essentially allows your body to passivly digest the product and not give you an upset stomach. This is the biggie that people don't pay attention and later pay for it.

Any questions or concerns please call or email us. We have also been working with Pua this year and here is what she uses for all her 24hr events www.puasdrink.com

Thanks for your time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.