Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Motolite Handling

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  zorg 
#1 · (Edited)
My Racer-X has been sharing the garage with a Moots RigorMootis but it’s time to find a more compatible friend for us. I’ve been hit a few times over the years riding my road bike and the Moots is just not a fun ride anymore. I was thinking Turner Flux but my Racer-X wants to keep it in the family. How about a Motolite she says? I like tight and twisty single track, climbing and all day epics. No hucking, gap jumps or lightspeed descents. My Racer-X handles like a lowered Porsche 914 on nitro! And is as balanced as the Dalai Lama! I'm interested to know what the handling is like on the ML and if it would be too much bike for my ride style?

#2 ·
I ride both Racer X and Motolite. I find that I can do the same trail faster on my Moto VS the racer x. The Motolite is just so much more plush, if you want it to be. I find that I dial the fork down and it feels very much like my X. If I had to own just one ot would be the Motolite.:thumbsup: I hope this helps.

Brian

#8 ·
The ML is a dream ride...............Sell the Moots and invest in a Ti ExoGrid ML, stunning ride..... If you ride a large, you can purchase mine when I purchase the Ti El G..........

#9 ·
I switched from a RX to a ML as well. Agree with what everyone else said. It's THE do-it-all bike.

Regarding the Turner Flux, it's also a 4 inch xc bike like the RX, so if you're getting another bike, I'd say rather get something in a different category to the RX. No real point in having two of the same, right?

Mint :)

#10 ·
mtbmonk said:
My Racer-X has been sharing the garage with a Moots RigorMootis but it's time to find a more compatible friend for us. I've been hit a few times over the years riding my road bike and the Moots is just not a fun ride anymore. I was thinking Turner Flux but my Racer-X wants to keep it in the family. How about a Motolite she says? I like tight and twisty single track, climbing and all day epics. No hucking, gap jumps or lightspeed descents. My Racer-X handles like a lowered Porsche 914 on nitro! And is as balanced as the Dalai Lama! I'm interested to know what the handling is like on the ML and if it would be too much bike for my ride style?
The racer X is a great handling bike and the ML was designed to handle as close as possible. The ML is more versatile as was said here before and you may develope your appetite if you get one.
If however you ride Skeggs and Saratoga gap and such and never go to Demo Forrest or Downieville/Taho than probably the RX is still your best choice. If you want to extend your limits the ML will take you much furthar.

#11 ·
For the type of riding you describe I think the RX is the perfect bike.

It's stiff, light, nimble, tracks well, great in the tight, and climbs like a goat. You can peddle it on all day epics and it can take a 2ft drop. What amazed me with my former RX was the speed I could carry over the trail.

The ML is a great bike and will handle everything you throw at it, albeit a little more muted. It will however, take you further into more technical and rough terrain if you so choose. Since this didn't seem to be a factor of yours in your post I say stay with the RX for what you ride. If I didn't already have a Switchblade I would get a ML. As it is I will be setting up my SB in the 3.75" setting with a Float100 (currently running the long rocker) and using it as my "light" trail bike when my new El Guapo arrives.

I still wish I had kept my RX. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.