Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Winter park race #5; Climbing?

845 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mtbfool 
#1 ·
Who all raced Winter park race #5 this weekend. How did you do? What did you think of all the fun mudpuddles and creek crossing? Amazing stuff!! Got any pics, stories? I seen one guy which I give my hats off to who rode the last part of the race without a seat and seatpost, congrats! There were a ton of wrecks as well, hope everyone's OK.

Anyone know the total climbing?

#2 ·
Good fun

My first race of the series was this weekend. I raced in the beginner class so I can only comment on our course. We didn't do the full upper Elk loop, or whatever it was called. But I will say I underestimated the amount of climbing based on the course profile. I'm guessing we did around 2-2.5K but I could be way off.

Overall I loved the course. Most of the climbs were ridable for me. I did walk two sections but most of those around me were as well. I think one of those sections might have been the WTB trail? Not for sure though. I was hoping to do more recovery on the downhills but most of that was on the fun singletrack so it was all I could do to concentrate on making the turns and hanging on.

Next time I'll try and know the course a little better. I was always holding back that last 1-2% in case there was another hill. By the time I realized we were going downhill for good it was too late to make up any time on anyone in front of me.

Looking forward to King of the Rockies.

j

#3 ·
Climbing

j-dawg said:
My first race of the series was this weekend. I raced in the beginner class so I can only comment on our course. We didn't do the full upper Elk loop, or whatever it was called. But I will say I underestimated the amount of climbing based on the course profile. I'm guessing we did around 2-2.5K but I could be way off.

Overall I loved the course. Most of the climbs were ridable for me. I did walk two sections but most of those around me were as well. I think one of those sections might have been the WTB trail? Not for sure though. I was hoping to do more recovery on the downhills but most of that was on the fun singletrack so it was all I could do to concentrate on making the turns and hanging on.

Next time I'll try and know the course a little better. I was always holding back that last 1-2% in case there was another hill. By the time I realized we were going downhill for good it was too late to make up any time on anyone in front of me.

Looking forward to King of the Rockies.

j
Yeah, this was my first sport race and my first winter park series race. It was a real adventure. I didn't have anything left in the tank afterwards. My legs started cramping the last 2 miles then at the finish I cramped as well. It was a great challenge. I almost did begginer too but figuered I'd kill myself with sport, I'm glad I did. It was worth the money. Although the beginer course was really tough too, all the same except the upper elk loop. Overall it was fun and challenging. Alot of the sport class were walking bikes in 3 sections as well, no shame in that. It took 2:36 to complete, felt like it was never going to end. Yep king of the rockies here we come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.