Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mongoose Amasa Comp or Otero Elite

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dreamspy 
#1 ·
Hi there

I'm trying to decide between a Mongoose Otero Elite, and a Mongoose Amasa Comp. Reason why I'm only looking at these two bikes is that I can get a 50% discount in a local Mongoose store. And they seem´d like the best bikes for my pricerange.

My quesion in short:
Would you recommend the Amasa Elite over the Otero Comp because it has greater parts? Or would you say that the Otero has good enough parts and suspension system?

I might add that I ride my bike 1-2 times a week, and do enjoy some offroad riding from time to time. I'm used to hardtail and I think it gives me great control. But I'm not used to FS but it might actually grow on me.

My quesion in loooong :
I tried the Otero Elite today and it feels ok, but the front fork felt rather soft. I'm not used to FS, so this might be just something I might get used to, but something tells me it was to soft. Does anyone have an opinion on this fork? The fork is : "SR/Suntour XCM DA w/ Alloy Legs, 100mm Travel; Coilover Shock w/ Rebound Adjust" (taken from mongoose.com)

Now regarding the Amasa Elite then I havent tried it yet because the store doesn't stock it until after few weeks. I'm hoping that bike will have a better fork. These two bikes cost around the same, but I'm worried if the components on the Otero Elite have been cut down to pay up for the suspension system. So does anyone know how the components on these two bikes compare? You can see the components on the mongoose site: Otero Elite
and Amasa Comp

Now some of you might say that it isn't fair to compare a Hardtail to a Full Suspension bike.

Well I'm interested in a Full Suspension bike, especially since I can turn the rear suspension off on the Otero. But I'we heard that FS is not worth it unless your willing to buy an expensive bike. So would the Otero be considered a "good FS bike"? Like I mentioned earlier the fork didn't feel so good, but I'm no expert. Also I might have an option to change the fork, I'd get a great discount on that to.

Thanks in advance for all your comments :)
regards
Frímann Kjerúlf
Iceland

See less See more
#2 ·
One think I'd like to say is that if you can get 50% off any Mongoose bike, then I'd have to say get a better one.

Ex: Teocali for 50% off is an insane deal; as is 50% off any Mongoose bike.

I'm not so sure which of those 2 bikes are better, but seriously take advantage of the 50% off.

The 2 Mongoose you listed aren't BAD, but not worth looking at if you can 50% off better Mongoose bikes.

#3 ·
Does it have to be one of these two? I'd go with the Amasa Elite personally, but if it has to be one of the two then I'd say the Amasa comp. Like you said, the Otero has too cheap parts due to the rear suspension. But were I in your shoes, I'd save up a little more and get the Amasa Elite, which your dealer should be able to get for you. I know you're probably getting each of those 2 for 288, but the Amasa elite is probably only 80 bucks more and it's well worth it. Also, if you're looking at a discount sheet similar to the one I have then the elite isn't on there, but it can still be ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.