Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vredestein Black Panther and Bull Lock

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  flizzyride 
#1 ·
Has anyone used these tires or know real weight etc? They look definately interesting.

All information is appreciated.

#4 ·
I've just ridden a pair of Black Panthers for one week in the Austrian Alps, mounted as tubeless with Eclipse latex. I weighed the 2.1 tires out of the box at 456 gram / each, which is less than labeled on the box : 475g.

The tires had everything thrown at them : sharp rocks, singletrack, gravel, etc all without a single problem.

I was very pleased, here are my impressions :

Strengths :

- low rolling resistance - better than my Michelin XCR Dry²'s
- easy installation as UST tire (managed to inflate the tire with a regular footpump)
- very good mud dissipation (thread doesn't tend fill up with mud like Michelin XCR Dry²'s)
- big volume, which results in comfort
- doesn't throw up a lot of rocks thanks to the central line of blocks
- low wear : almost no wear visible
- low weight : 456 gram on our electronic kitchen scale (475 gram labeled on the box)

Weaknesses :

- doesn't perform very well on gravel : the tire seems to seek direction in turns
- same when riding through sand or loose dust
- as both tires need to be mounted in the same direction, not a lot of grip at the rear when breaking

Conclusiion : very good tire, but requires some technical skills to get everything out of it. If you don't have a lot of experience or are lacking technique, better choose a different tyre.

I would definitely buy this tire again :thumbsup:

#5 ·
madskatingcow said:
I've just ridden a pair of Black Panthers for one week in the Austrian Alps, mounted as tubeless with Eclipse latex. I weighed the 2.1 tires out of the box at 456 gram / each, which is less than labeled on the box : 475g.

The tires had everything thrown at them : sharp rocks, singletrack, gravel, etc all without a single problem.

I was very pleased, here are my impressions :

Strengths :

- low rolling resistance - better than my Michelin XCR Dry²'s
- easy installation as UST tire (managed to inflate the tire with a regular footpump)
- very good mud dissipation (thread doesn't tend fill up with mud like Michelin XCR Dry²'s)
- big volume, which results in comfort
- doesn't throw up a lot of rocks thanks to the central line of blocks
- low wear : almost no wear visible
- low weight : 456 gram on our electronic kitchen scale (475 gram labeled on the box)

Weaknesses :

- doesn't perform very well on gravel : the tire seems to seek direction in turns
- same when riding through sand or loose dust
- as both tires need to be mounted in the same direction, not a lot of grip at the rear when breaking

Conclusiion : very good tire, but requires some technical skills to get everything out of it. If you don't have a lot of experience or are lacking technique, better choose a different tyre.

I would definitely buy this tire again :thumbsup:
Both tires do not "have to" be run in the same rotating direction. You can turn them (or any) tire around if you want.

But in most cases a tire has better braking when used in the "front" direction. I would say the center ridge tread is the real issue, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.