Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

05 trance 2 flex problems

855 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Unwritten 
#1 ·
Ok so I have an 05 trance 2, the bike has been giving me problems for some time now. When in the middle chain ring the chain will come off and fall down to the bottom bracket when I put a lot of power down. Needless to say I have ended up on the ground and busted my knee several time because of this. Well tonight it has gotten so bad that I was forced to ride in my small ring. As I was getting back on my bike tonight after a short break, I had both brakes locked up, and pushed hard on the peddle. Well the whole rear end flexed about an inch. Needless to say I think this is why my chain is coming off. My question is why is this happening? Is this the problem with bearings going out on the rear end? The bike has done it to some extent since I got it, however it has gotten much worse in the past couple of weeks. If it is of any use it’s a 20in bike, I am 6'2" and about 210lb's loaded with gear. Sorry for the long winded post, any help would be great. Another note, i have had the bike for a year, and ride 3 to 4 times a week.

Lee

#2 ·
Leland said:
Ok so I have an 05 trance 2, the bike has been giving me problems for some time now. When in the middle chain ring the chain will come off and fall down to the bottom bracket when I put a lot of power down. Needless to say I have ended up on the ground and busted my knee several time because of this. Well tonight it has gotten so bad that I was forced to ride in my small ring. As I was getting back on my bike tonight after a short break, I had both brakes locked up, and pushed hard on the peddle. Well the whole rear end flexed about an inch. Needless to say I think this is why my chain is coming off. My question is why is this happening? Is this the problem with bearings going out on the rear end? The bike has done it to some extent since I got it, however it has gotten much worse in the past couple of weeks. If it is of any use it's a 20in bike, I am 6'2" and about 210lb's loaded with gear. Sorry for the long winded post, any help would be great. Another note, i have had the bike for a year, and ride 3 to 4 times a week.

Lee
Take a close look at the top bearings in the rear triangle. They wear and collapse within about a year, esp the 05 stock ones. Sounds like your rear triangle might be flogged out with that amount of movement. If it's not completely shagged, replace the stock ones with some Enduro bearings from Chris; he has the full kit avail on his website.
Another possibility is the Evolve crank is loose on the BB spline but that would be rather obvious. They are also a common failure item, having a shitty interference fit that gives up after a year or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.