Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

project 2 forks on my monocog

711 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JMac47 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a used monocog from a dealer and the original forks were faulty. The drop outs didn't line up. The bike has knona project 2 forks on it now and I kind of like the look of them, because I have a front disc and the kona forks don't have v-brake braze ons. The dealer has ordered the redline forks for me and they will be the 07 brown and my bike is 06 green. I was wondering if anyone knows how the two forks affect the bikes handling. The knona forks look like they are 15.5 inches from the bottom of the steer tube to the axle. This is my first ss and my first fully rigid mountain bike. I took it on my sat. morning group ride last sat. and the ss thing lived up to what you all say. I was waiting for my buddies at the top of the climbs. We road to the top of Mt. Tam via eldridge grade. The hardest part was the decent with the fully rigid bike. Will the stock redline forks be better for down hill? By the way it is a 26". Any help or knowledge is appreciated.

#2 ·
I haven't ridden the P2 forks but know the monocog fork well. I suspect there won't be an appreciable difference between the 2 (I don't really know though). My first ride with the rigid front end was tough on my arms. By the end of the ride I was barely able to hold on because my forearms and wrists were soooo tired.
I posted here complaining about it and a few responded to ride looser and avoid deathgrip on the downhill. It worked like a charm. 2000 miles later I am amazed a how sloppy a suspended fork feels after riding rigid.

#3 ·
I have a P2 disc fork from 2-3 years ago. The A-C on that fork is ~16". That is on the short side for rigid 26" forks, but not by a whole lot..

IIRC, the P2 has a pretty good reputation for ride quality among low cost steel forks. The stock fork may not be a marked improvement. I've ridden Eldridge many times on rigid bikes (26" with Tange fork, 29" with Karate Monkey fork). Bottom line, it is rough going towards the top. I broke my Black Super Air, going uphill on that trail. My friends on 4" bikes gripe about it. No fork is going to truly smooth it out for you, but with development of your rigid riding technique it should become more comfortable.

#5 ·
Another trick......

dmdeltesta said:
The bike has knona project 2 forks on it now and I kind of like the look of them, because I have a front disc and the kona forks don't have v-brake braze ons.
.....is to have a high volume/low pressure tire up front such as a 2.4 WTB Mutano/Moto Race, or otherwise. I am low on $$ for a new build and was looking at trying one of these forks to get things built up for now. We'll see how it workSS on my 50 y.o. boddy..:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.