Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soft - Firm on Brain Fade -- Much differance?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Maluco 
#1 ·
I've been looking at '06 Epic Discs for awhile and demo'ed an '06 at a race a few months ago. Unfortunatley, I did not get to fool around with the brain much or ride it on real singletrack. Just wondering if the fade adjustment does much. If it is on the softest setting, is it relativley plush...or is it still kind of harsh? I have a hardtail, so the firm setting is something I don't really have to worry about. I just want it to still be fun on those regualar rides without getting as beat up as I do on my HT.

I have also heard about some issues with the Brain. Are the bugs worked out? What went wrong?

-Thanks in advance.
:cool:

#3 ·
I have an 07 stumpy. I notice a difference with only a few clicks of the brain. There is an incredible difference between full firm and full plush. I generally ride it about six clicks from the full firm. I turn it a few clicks closer to firm for less rocky single track and then a few clicks towards plush for the really rocky stuff. My experience has been all good with the brain.

#4 ·
Brain fade difference

The Epic is a good choice if coming off of a hardtail. Relative to your current ride, it will have a similar feel on smoother sections when the rear suspension is locked out but will be plush when you hit the rough. Hardtail riders by nature tend to ride more out of the saddle so the small amount of chatter when the suspension is locked out is not bothersome. The 06 Brain allows a larger range of adjustment, from plush to near HT firm. With the Brain in the softest setting I can stay seated for 3 plus hour rides and not feel any bobbing. For racing dial it in 1/3 of a turn (a personal choice), this allows the rider to get up out of the saddle for acceleration without the suspension bobbing but still allows the suspension to absorb the bumps.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.