Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

manitou travis single intrinsic fork questions

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ianjenn 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new 2006 Manitou Travis single intrinsic. 1.5 steerer, and 180mm travel. I got it for about $425 shipped which seemed like a pretty good deal. Alot of the mail orders don't seem to even stock it. I'm switching from a sherman breakout plus on my Ironnhorse sgs.

Anyone have any experience with these? any problems, recommended mods/adjustments.

Also, can the 180mm fork be adjusted internally to be 203mm?

I can't find anything on the answer site about it. The 2006 manual covers their entire fork line. It sucks to find anything specific to this fork.

You can post, or reply to oldbmx@gmail.com

Thanks.

#2 ·
Gomestr.....that's a great deal on that fork. I've got that exact same fork on my Gran mal.

No, it's not adjustable to 203mm. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure they ever even released a production version of the 203 SC Travis this year. At least, I never saw one. A few things you should know about the fork.

This fork is plush as hell. It's really insanely plush and stiff for a singlecrown. Your breakout plus can't even compete with the Travis....I've got a flick plus so I know. It is a bit taller so it will slacken your SGS a bit. I came off a 66 and this is both stiffer and more plush. Of course, my 66 was trouble free so that counts for something.

The adjustments. I'd run your intrinsic damping close to all the way in (6 or 7 clicks) most of the time. The intrinsic is supposed to help with the bottoming, but I seemed to bottom mine out pretty damn hard on occasion with it in (see comments on spring weight below). The rebound makes a difference, but I usually run mine pretty fast- close to full open.

The intrinsic cartridge for 2006 wasn't perfected yet. I've blown mine up 3x now (all in the WBP when I bottomed the fork very hard) and Manitou has recently replaced it with a TPC+ cartridge in my fork until the 2007 cartridge is released that will deal with the issue. The issue, according to Manitou, is around heat build-up in the cartridge. Honestly, I've blown mine up after bottoming it really hard over shooting trannies and once at the bottom of a rockface g-out....if you ride this fork locally and aren't going big or weigh a ton, it'll likely be fine for you. I have a buddy that has one on his ASX and hasn't had an issue with it at all.

If you're bigger than 170 or so, you'll want to consider switching out the spring to a "firm". This is what Manitou just did for me as they suspect I was bottoming my fork too hard even though I'm only ~155 lbs. The spring is on the left leg of the fork and takes about 10 minutes to switch out....couldn't be easier and wil cost you ~$30.

I'll likely swap out the TPC+ cartridge to the '07 intrinsic cartridge in the spring before the park opens back up. Manitou has already said they'd do it for me free of charge. I just got my fork back from Manitou and haven't got a ride on it yet with the TPC+ and the firm spring so i can't tell you how it's going to ride, but I can tell you that Manitou's service has been exceptional......actually, it's been over the top good. That alone has kept me riding this fork and I've had minimal downtime despite my issues. Also, they've got a service center in whistler which has made my life super easy.....they've been really up front with me though and I haven't got the run-around at all.

Cheers,
EBX

#3 ·
THANKS for the great USEFUL reply!

Wow, thatks a ton for the real-world info about my fork.

There were only a few reviews on this fork on MTBR. And Not much vendor info. I couldn't even find anyone selling the 1.5 intrinsics, only the dual crown, and Travis single 150mm (1 1/8").

I have seen only 2 of these on Ebay in the last 6 months, both selling in the $450-$500 Range. I was glad to get this one for what i did, The breakout plus forks are selling between 200 and 250 now too, which isn't a bad deal either. I think the 1.5 just isn't catching on. Although it seems like some bike companies are sticking with it for a stronger frame/head tube, and a few new frames are using it. Just no new Fork brands except Manitou.

Forgive my ignorance, I am New England( RI) rider, and do some local FR/DH and trials, and a (very) few trips to NH/Vermont for some mountain trail riding. I didn't get a few of your apreviations: (WBP a bike park?) (rockface g-out ?- none of these near me i'm guessing).

My Breakout plus is also 180mm (adjustable 150-180), but i leave it at 180. I figured the travis would be about the same height. I don't mind a little extra height/rake, as the SGS FR bikes had steeper head angle than The DH bikes anyway (i rode a world cup frame , and liked the slacker angle). I never used the travel setting, so that's no problem, (less to go wrong).

I had the first version SVP on it, and didn't like it much. I thik my spring was too soft, and i didn't like the way the platform worked. I had to set it high to make up for the lack of spring. LAst year, I picked up a spare 2005 SVP-Evolve fork, but I didn't try it. I was also looking at converting it to TPC+, or sellin g it for one of these.

I weigh 225 plus, and i;'m not too smooth, so i thing the stiffer (STIFFEST) spring is definately in order. Are the parts switchable with the breakout (Cartridges, springs, ect). If You end up sellin gyour TPC+ cartridge If it fits the Breakout, (if manitou doesn't take it back) I would be interested in buying it, and converting my breakout as a back-up fork if i need to send my travis in for service. How much would one be from Manitou be if i buy it directly, there aren't any manitou parts dealers near me.

Except for the breakout (which i have not had servced), This is the first manitou fork i have had in about 5 years. But the service on the last one was great. They sent me two free spring/elastomer kits to upgrade my Palmer Stroker SX ti fork for my weight right after i bought it (A supergo closeout)

Did they charge you for any of the parts/service or ahas it all been under warranty? Do you know if they would exchange a new spring for free if i take it out and send it back right away while it's still new? I'll keep the 07 cartrige in mind if i blow mine up. but is sounds like it would last me longer if i change the spring straight off. Anyone in particular i should talk to at MAnitou?

Thanks.

-TOm

#4 ·
Hey Tom.

See my answers in line below.

gomestr said:
Wow, thatks a ton for the real-world info about my fork.
No problem. Glad to help out.

gomestr said:
Although it seems like some bike companies are sticking with it for a stronger frame/head tube, and a few new frames are using it. Just no new Fork brands except Manitou.
Both Rock shox and Marzocchi are offering some of their forks with 1.5" steerer tubes in the Totem and the 66 for 2007, but they're just being released so you aren't seeing them much.

gomestr said:
Forgive my ignorance, I am New England( RI) rider, and do some local FR/DH and trials, and a (very) few trips to NH/Vermont for some mountain trail riding. I didn't get a few of your apreviations: (WBP a bike park?) (rockface g-out ?- none of these near me i'm guessing).
Sorry about that.
- WBP = Whistler Bike Park
- Rockface G-out = these are steep rock faces (near vertical) where you have a quick transition at the bottom and it creates a bunch of G-force due to the speed as you roll down them.

gomestr said:
My Breakout plus is also 180mm (adjustable 150-180), but i leave it at 180. I figured the travis would be about the same height. I don't mind a little extra height/rake, as the SGS FR bikes had steeper head angle than The DH bikes anyway (i rode a world cup frame , and liked the slacker angle). I never used the travel setting, so that's no problem, (less to go wrong).
The Travis is still a bit taller than the Breakout Plus. I've got a buddy with an ASX and he switched from that fork to a Travis and noticed the difference in height.

gomestr said:
I weigh 225 plus, and i;'m not too smooth, so i thing the stiffer (STIFFEST) spring is definately in order.
Yeah, definitely get the firmest spring you can.

gomestr said:
Are the parts switchable with the breakout (Cartridges, springs, ect). If You end up sellin gyour TPC+ cartridge If it fits the Breakout, (if manitou doesn't take it back) I would be interested in buying it, and converting my breakout as a back-up fork if i need to send my travis in for service. How much would one be from Manitou be if i buy it directly, there aren't any manitou parts dealers near me.
I'd doubt most of these are interchangeable, but I have no idea. It's a taller fork with bigger stanchions so I'd guess they aren't though. You should drop the folks at Manitou a line. They've been super with their service to me.

gomestr said:
Did they charge you for any of the parts/service or ahas it all been under warranty? Do you know if they would exchange a new spring for free if i take it out and send it back right away while it's still new?
No, everything was under warranty. Again, they've been great.

Cheers,
EBX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.