Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Transition question

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  allsk8sno 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anybody knows how much the transition bikes weigh or failing that if anybody knows how much the various build kits they offer weigh?

#2 ·
walrasian said:
Just wondering if anybody knows how much the transition bikes weigh or failing that if anybody knows how much the various build kits they offer weigh?
Not to be a smart ass but they are all going to be "heavy".

I don't think it is worth even thinking about the exact weight. Either you are cool with a heavy bike or you aren't. Once you get into "heavy bike" territory, a couple of pounds either way isn't going to matter.

Frame weights are listed on their website.

#3 ·
I am more thinking about the difference between a 35 pound bike I can play with or a 40 pound bike that I lug everywhere I go.

I know the frame weight sans shock is on the site but I am thinking more along the lines of build up bike myself or pay for their build kit. If the kit is fairly heavy then the money saved by buying it will be lost by replacing some heavy parts. I need a heavy wheelset so I don't have any cheap options to shave weight from the bike.

#4 ·
walrasian said:
I am more thinking about the difference between a 35 pound bike I can play with or a 40 pound bike that I lug everywhere I go.

I know the frame weight sans shock is on the site but I am thinking more along the lines of build up bike myself or pay for their build kit. If the kit is fairly heavy then the money saved by buying it will be lost by replacing some heavy parts. I need a heavy wheelset so I don't have any cheap options to shave weight from the bike.
I understand. I didn't mean to be difficult. Which one are you looking at? Nothing stands out as particularly light on any of their builds except the Covert. Their house components (stem, seatpost, saddle) look a little chunky.

I really do not want to know what my BR weighs. I might think it is too heavy once I find out. Ignorance is bliss.

#8 · (Edited)
jake2119 said:
AW you have a bottlerocket. Any comments on how it climbs? Right now I need a all mountain bike that I can progress with.
It climbs great except for the weight, single ring up front (34x28 low gear), 170mm fork, platform pedals, and 50mm stem. Ha ha!

Seriously though, what type of climbing are you talking about? Obviously you aren't going to win any XC races on it due to the weight, and steep tech climbing is not optimal with a shorty stem and a big fork. I live in Oregon and most of the climbs here are long but relatively smooth, and it works out for how/what/where I ride. After yesterday's ride (19 miles of xc trail w/ approx 2k climbing), I came to the realization that I really need to quit being stupid and put a front derailleur on it, since this is now my one and only "mountain bike" and I have to walk MUCH too often with a single ring up front. Other than that, I am happy with it for "xc rides". I love to ride trails, and honestly I really do enjoy climbing, but climbing speed is not important to me as long as I am not holding anyone up. With that being said, I climb primarily for the descents, and if I can't clean all the steep technical sections going up, I am fine with that. I have no illusions that it will climb as well as my previous XC bike which was sub 30 pounds full suspension 100mm stem HOWEVER so far at the end of the day I am having more fun on this bike riding the same trails.

It really depends on what you want to do. I certainly cannot say this is the best climbing bike around by any means because of the weight and geometry, but if you want to get to the top of the hill you will find a way to do it. My bike is set up for jumping, cornering, and ripping DH and any other type of riding is a compromise. It's kind of heavy but not "that heavy" compared to some other freeride bikes. I am really happy with the geometry, it is stable but not super slack, easy to jump, confident descender. I tend to over analyze things and I could not find a bike that I thought would be better for my needs. But keep in mind I have had several mountain bikes already and my riding style and ideas of what I want to get out of riding has changed a lot (once again) in the past couple of years. I am not riding competitively with my bros racing each other to the top, it is more about fast flowing xc trails and full on freeride trails with jumps and stunts, and we are pretty relaxed about going uphill.

I hope that sheds some light... feel free to ask anything else... there are a lot of really nice bikes on the market these days so do your research before dropping the loot on a new ride.

#9 ·
Not sure what their individual builds weigh in at but i'm sure if you called them up they'd be able to tell you. My 05' Preston is at 39.6 lbs. I've seen Prestons from 29lbs all the way to 43lbs although most of the over 36lbs ones are guys who are running DH tires which are heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.