Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Haro Mary ride report. [0]

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  ssmike 
#1 ·

So I've had this Mary for most of the riding season. The riding I've done on it includes long-ish climbs(keep in mind, I'm WI[driftless area though, so we DO have hills]), rocky, slimey, twisty trails and an enduro or two.

The short and simple version: FUN.

But then so is most any bike. The fun on the Mary goes a bit further though. For my riding style(or ability, read that as you will), it dissapears beneath you. As handling goes, this is a good thing. I've not found the bike wandering as I shoot down steep inclines, searching for a line. Very stable in those situations. On more open flowing trails, and as the speed picks up, the Mary is still right there, responding to every input instant, be it at the bars or stomping on the pedals for a blast of speed.

Lofting the bike for aerial manuvers such as the above is easy too. I ride the 20" frame size, and while it is no super light macheen, its right there. As I have it built, it tips the scales at 27lbs. Nothing superfancy. DT Onix/Salsa deltaco's or Pauls/Deltaco disc, XT cranks/BB, Salsa stem/post saddle and my bling, Titec Hellions. Avid BBDB 5's, Avid levers. Time Atac's. Reba @100mm.

The fit of the bike is right on too. 24.9" [I think, correct me if I'm wrong] TT w/a 120mm stem equals a great reach that's still very comfortable. I could go longer on the stem, but I don't see the need to. With the fork at 100mm, it matches pretty well for that 'trail bike' feeling. Speaking of which, with the fork at 100mm, steering is a tad slow on the tightest of trails, but still responsive enough to be pleasurable. On gravity assisted trails, this set up simply rocks. If you're concerned about tight trail, east coast rocky twisty, 80mm or rigid would a great way to set up the bike.

My thoughts on the whole package? For the frame only price of $450ish, it can't be beat. With a dedicated geared version and a single speed version, you have all your bases covered. Get your order in early!

See less See more
#14 ·
ssmike said:
I just realized that it looks like you are bunnhopping sideways over that log - sweet move for a big man!
he. Thanks. Ya kinda have to do that. The log sits at 45 deg to the trail. Its a tricky move for sure. And its not a small log either. Freaked me out the first few times I approached it. So, to answer your question; No, I haven't been easy on Mary. :D

Attachments

#16 ·
are those old avid ultimate levers? ive got a set and love them, but havent had the patience to try setting them up with discs, what are you running and hows the feel? they look like canti-style levers, so im interested in knowing if they offer any power or iif they feel mushy, if power's good and mushy isnt an issue, ill be making the swap right quick!

#19 ·
Old Avid levers

~martini~ said:
They're the v-chip ones. They work ok with the Avid BBDB 5's I've got on Mary. A tad mushy, but I like to call that 'modulation'. If I had my druthers(and lots more ducats), I'd grab a set of the new Ultimates.
Marty: I use a set of really old Avid SD-1 levers with the speed dial. They work really well with my BB-7's and have that same mush/ modulation that you speak of. Actually, I have had hydro users squeeze the levers on my bike and say that they feel great. Who knew?

#21 ·
great, pics, write up and ride...

Its great to see more affordable options being offered. The more affordable options, the more people will look at a 29er as an option. Im laid up right now (hip replacement) so your pics and ride report where exactly what I needed, thanks.

#22 ·
So is it $450 for frame and fork for the geared version also?

I want a rigid geared Mary to complement my Werx SS.

I used to get EP price on Haro's at my old shop...too bad it's gone. Our closest competitor used to rag on Haro's non-stop and bad mouth them. The funny thing is, as soon as my shop closed, they picked up Haro instantly. Guess I will look elsewhere for my Mary.

#25 ·
1-track-mind said:
1) What is the weight of a Mary XC ?
2) Will the 20" work for a 6'41/2" rider ?
3) How does the frame compare to an Inbred ?
4) Which components would you be inclined tp upgrade first ?

Thanks
1-track-

1-my SS frame wieghed 6 lbs. Granted, its a proto, so take that w/a grain of salt. Complete, its 27lbs.

2-I'm 6'5" with a 35" inseam. The 20" fits me great. If you're going to be at Levis/Trow for the WEMS race this weekend, I'll let ya spin around on it(you are from WI, or there-abouts, right?)

3-never ridden an inbred, so I couln't tell ya. I think the inbred is longer in the TT.

4-about the only thing I'd change right away would be the tires. Not that the Exi's are bad...there's just better available. I like the spec on the XC. The wheels may be a tad heavy too. Swap them out for some new salsa's!

#26 ·
1-track-mind said:
1) What is the weight of a Mary XC ?
2) Will the 20" work for a 6'41/2" rider ?
3) How does the frame compare to an Inbred ?
4) Which components would you be inclined tp upgrade first ?

Thanks
1) The proto 20" Mary XC weighed about 5.5 lbs. I don't anticipate production to be any different as the protos were spot on and I didn't change anything. Marty's is with the eccentric.
2) I'm 6'3" with a 36+" inseam. I made the 20" to fit me perfectly.
3) Haven't seen an Inbred, but I am a fan of On-One's stuff. I'm sure it's a nice frame.
4) If you are talking the need to upgrade right off the bat, you might be more inclined to go the frameset route. Personally, I like custom wheels with DT Swiss hubs. One thing that you might want to upgrade right off the bat if you are 6' 41/2" is the seat post to a 400+mm length post.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.