Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Plenty of bling bling Ti

4K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Anonymous Gerbil 
#1 ·
Well, I was lazy in registering on to the new forums. Finally took some pics of my rig with some nw parts that I wanted to share, so figured might as well register. (BTW, I preferred the old-style forums)

Had my LBS install Boone chainrings. There were some shifting issues going from the middle to the outside large ring. They scavenged some shift pins from other rings, and now the shifting is almost as good as Shimano (pins were taken from Shimano). The shop did such a great job in integrating these pins, that you can barely see them on the outside. But they can be seen on the inside.

Another change I did was remove the old cartridge (pictured below - sorry, did not take pics of the new one), and put in the F80X cartridge. Fox charged $158 total, shipped. Everything was extremely well-packed. Also had the fork oil changed and my baby is working as good as new. You can tell the Terralogic cartridge from the RLT cartridge because there is no lockout knob on the Terralogic. For those interested, the 80X cartridge is oart number 820-04-019, and will fit all 80mm Float models. I believe 100mm Float models need a different cartridge.

Since I was taking them, I figured might as well take some other beauty shots. Also took a couple of pics on how I store this bike - no way in hell I am keeping this puppy in the garage.

Well, enjoy the pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
turb0 said:
Nice ride!
Hey, what kind of ceiling hoist do you have there? My bride-to-be has accused me of turning our spare bedroom in our apartment into a garage :D
I use the Performance Bike Hoist. I am sure plenty of other places sell something similar

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=2268&Store=Bike

As for weight, it is about ~23.5. Did not weigh it to the micrograms - not a true weight weenie :D

#10 ·
Anonymous Gerbil said:
Well, I was lazy in registering on to the new forums. Finally took some pics of my rig with some nw parts that I wanted to share, so figured might as well register. (BTW, I preferred the old-style forums)

Well, enjoy the pics.
I enjoyed them. It looks like a small bike , what size is it??
I'm also getting the Boone ti rings so the tip about the shifting is helpful . I have some Goldtec TiNi rings on one bike and they don't shift as good as XTR either but you need to remember to hold back on the power when you shift .

ps: can you mail me some bigger versions of the pics of the Boone rings ? Would really appreciate that. fenrir@proximus.be

Here's a pic of the Goldtecs btw:

Attachments

#11 ·
Big Bad Wolf said:
I enjoyed them. It looks like a small bike , what size is it??
I'm also getting the Boone ti rings so the tip about the shifting is helpful . I have some Goldtec TiNi rings on one bike and they don't shift as good as XTR either but you need to remember to hold back on the power when you shift .

ps: can you mail me some bigger versions of the pics of the Boone rings ? Would really appreciate that. fenrir@proximus.be

Here's a pic of the Goldtecs btw:
Heres my boones on scale. I am hoping to get chad to make some rings for my dura ace cassette to replace the none ti ones.

Attachments

#14 ·
yawn

whether true or not, your post makes you sound abnormally obsessed with fancy expensive bicycle parts. personally I'm more impressed with folks that have the knowhow to maintain their own bicycles than those that waste tons of money on dubious performance doodads. you must have a great job in houston. ever consider giving it up and living poor and happy in some colorado mountain town, where instead of fondling and drooling over some inordinately expensive bicycle part, you can actually ride your mountain bike in the mountains instead of in the armpit of the county's most polluted state? just a though. but I think you have some transcending to do before that idea would hold any appeal for you. til then, hey buy more stuff and post some more pix, I'm sure somebody out there cares.

#15 ·
bulC said:
whether true or not, your post makes you sound abnormally obsessed with fancy expensive bicycle parts. personally I'm more impressed with folks that have the knowhow to maintain their own bicycles than those that waste tons of money on dubious performance doodads. you must have a great job in houston. ever consider giving it up and living poor and happy in some colorado mountain town, where instead of fondling and drooling over some inordinately expensive bicycle part, you can actually ride your mountain bike in the mountains instead of in the armpit of the county's most polluted state? just a though. but I think you have some transcending to do before that idea would hold any appeal for you. til then, hey buy more stuff and post some more pix, I'm sure somebody out there cares.
Geez, having a bad day are we? It would appear to me that some here DO care, and enjoyed the pics. Why don't you take your negative attitude someplace else, maybe someplace where someone cares?

BTW: Nice bike and nice pics Gerbil

#18 ·
While I have some sympathy for your point...

bulC said:
whether true or not, your post makes you sound abnormally obsessed with fancy expensive bicycle parts. personally I'm more impressed with folks that have the knowhow to maintain their own bicycles than those that waste tons of money on dubious performance doodads.
...at least he's spending his money on bike parts. It could be spent on much worse.

Personally, I'm most impressed by folks that sink their resources (money/work/time) into something they care about than something someone else cares about. If they were brought up human, they'll contribute -- or at least do no harm.

I also like Ti and high quality parts, not because it has "bling-bling", but because such a bike can last a long time -- when it comes to bikes I'm into long term relationships. And like my wife, I hope they're with me for life...

#20 ·
fool

bulC said:
poor and happy? transcending? I am guessing from this little outburst, you are a well off (upper middle class) American male in his late teens or twenties with both parents still married.

you also have had little experience of life, people spending money on bicycles tend not to register to highly on the radars of people who have seen a few things in life.

It is you who needs to transcend your fixed views on what is the right or wrong way to live.

#21 ·
bulC said:
Who wakes up in the morning and says: "GEE WHIZ! I really wish i was poor!"
Gimme a break.

#22 ·
man, chill out...

bulC said:
I think this was the most judgemental thing I've ever heard written.

A wise friend once told me, "if you have the choice of two jobs, the first being one you love but pays crap, and the second the one that pays very well but you might not enjoy it as much, take the second one, unless you have some rich uncle".

Perhaps I'm not a ski/construction bum in a mountain town, but you know what, I don't want to be. If I have the skills to make the money, I'm going to make the money so I can enjoy everything I want to enjoy. I ride about as much as I want, wherever I want. My job or the fact I live in the Denver metro have nothing to do with my riding time or quality. And the days I decide there is more to life than biking (gasp) I actually have the money to take trips elsewhere.

Sorry to go on a rant, your "buddha on the mountain" mentality just really got to me.

#23 ·
Anonymous Gerbil said:
Had my LBS install Boone chainrings. There were some shifting issues going from the middle to the outside large ring. They scavenged some shift pins from other rings, and now the shifting is almost as good as Shimano (pins were taken from Shimano). The shop did such a great job in integrating these pins, that you can barely see them on the outside. But they can be seen on the inside.

Well, enjoy the pics.
I asked Brett Brown to put in 2 shift pins in a 46 toother I ordered the other day. He said I was the first one to ask this and he was gonna put some in.
I only have two pins in my Goldtec , and they shift as good as Race Face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.