Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 Month Prophet 1-MX Review...

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Tom Church 
#1 ·
One thing to note about the bike...I put a 2.25" stroke Fox DHX Coil shock on it and that upped the travel to about 163mm and I swapped out the 36 Air for the Van Coil for 160 up front. Total bike weight is 34 lbs.

Bike kicks ass...strong enough for 7' drops (well...that's the biggest I've done and about the biggest I go at the moment) and it pedals nice. The Thru-12 feels great...much stiffer than my Gemini. It climbs great, not quite as good as a full-on XC bike but better than most FR or DH bikes for sure. The body position on the bike is great...more upright like a FR bike than an XC bike. The top tube is a bit short but once you start climbing you realize why...The bike also has a gusset under the head tube for extra strength (the MX series Prophets have this and the thru-12 while normal Prophets don't). It eats up the good descents and has tight handling. A bit loose climbing but it climbs well above average for a FR bike.

Overall the bike ****ing rocks...The trails I ride are XC oriented in the way that you have to go up no matter what...but once up the terrain is VERY tech with lots of rock gardens and stunts. 4-10' drops are pretty norm as well as log rides, jumps and bridges. The downhills can be very steep and there are lots of steep rollers to be found. But like I said...there is plenty of climbing there as well. This bike does it all with no problems...exactly what I was looking for.

If you are looking at a Nomad, a 6.6 or something similar, do your self a favor and check out the prophet. If you ride slightly more to the FR side then check out the Prophet MX like mine.

Tom

See less See more
#6 ·
Tom Church said:
One thing to note about the bike...I put a 2.25" stroke Fox DHX Coil shock on it and that upped the travel to about 163mm and I swapped out the 36 Air for the Van Coil for 160 up front. Total bike weight is 34 lbs.
Tom
I think that your kind of bike will be the future for freeride. at least the pedal-version of freeride NOT the huck-you-brains-out-version.

The Prohet MX was also on my list, but in the end I choose the the Specialized SX trail 1.
The MX was just too expensive :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.