Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saint and other general brake questions

714 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
OK, I learned what tab mounts and post mounts are now but I'm still confused about some of this stuff.

First, I'm familiar with 6" and 8" rotors but I'm not sure if those measurements are used interchangeably with 160mm & 203mm. Also, I've seen some referred to as 170mm rotors. Can someone cut through all this so I don't buy the wrong thing?

Second, the Saint calipers are looking really good to me for a new SS but I want to run 6" rotors, so my rotors and parts will be more interchangeable. It looks like most of the calipers come with 203mm adapters. Can I change out the adapter to run 6" rotors?

Thx,
MTB-)

#2 ·
MTB-] said:
OK, I learned what tab mounts and post mounts are now but I'm still confused about some of this stuff.

First, I'm familiar with 6" and 8" rotors but I'm not sure if those measurements are used interchangeably with 160mm & 203mm. Also, I've seen some referred to as 170mm rotors. Can someone cut through all this so I don't buy the wrong thing?

Second, the Saint calipers are looking really good to me for a new SS but I want to run 6" rotors, so my rotors and parts will be more interchangeable. It looks like most of the calipers come with 203mm adapters. Can I change out the adapter to run 6" rotors?

Thx,
MTB-)
160 is commonly called 6" and 203mm 8". The Saint calipers are Post Mount calipers that use adapters, so with the proper adaptor, you can run 6" (160mm) rotors just fine. There are also 7" (185mm rotors), as well as some other sizes that don't fit the norm. Such as 140mm, Shimano 170mm, Hope 200mm, etc.

#3 ·
Yes,
There are many different rotor sizes out there, and some can be very confusing/non compatable (ie: Shimano 6" rotor on a Hayes 6" caliper set-up will not work).

In your case, you are getting Siant calipers with 6 " rotors - all you need is, of course, the 160mm rotors and the appropriate 6" adaptors - done!

#7 ·
cort said:
Yes,
There are many different rotor sizes out there, and some can be very confusing/non compatable (ie: Shimano 6" rotor on a Hayes 6" caliper set-up will not work).

In your case, you are getting Siant calipers with 6 " rotors - all you need is, of course, the 160mm rotors and the appropriate 6" adaptors - done!
Technically, you are incorrect. The Shimano rotor has a narrower blade than the Hayes rotor, this means that the rotor will work fine initially but will develop problems later on down the line as the pads wear unevenly or start grabbing the arms of the rotor. Running a Hayes rotor with a Shimano caliper is fine though, and has no wear issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.