Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

carbon HTs: Orbea Alma, Scott Scale Limited, or Trek 9.9 OLCV

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  used2Bhard 
#1 · (Edited)
which carbon HT frame or bike for dedicated xc racing (& cyclocross) bike weighing under 20# complete with cl pedals, hydro disks, & tubeless wheeset: Orbea Alma 2.7#, Scott Scale Limited 2.2#, or Trek 9.9 OLCV (3.3#?) ?
Budget will be $6000 (or what ever is required).

http://bicyclesource.us/itemdetails.cfm?ID=10271
Orbea Alma X.O Disc $4100, 22#?

Scott Scale Limited $5500, 19~20#

Trek OLCV 9.9 XTR $5000 #? (I can get myself 20% off on Treks).

#3 ·
I like the Orbea Alma ....

The carbon on the alma is the same thats used on there opal and orca road frames but in a different ratios,

The Orca is 50 % M30 S Formula 1 grade high modulus fibers & 50 % T700 S medium modulus fibers

The Opal is 100 % M30 S Formula 1 grade high modulus fibers this frame is lighter and stiffer in the BB than the Orca

The Alma is 20 % M30 S Formula 1 grade high modulus fibers & 80 % T700 S medium modulus fibers

I list this info because I have ridden booth the road frames and like how the Orca handles (absorbs) the vibration better and is more comfortable on longer rides, I currently ride a Orbea Scape and love the way it handles set up with a 100mm Reba it is about 70.7 Degrees head angle.

I only have a few minutes on a Scott but a good friend raced it last year and really liked it.

I think you could defiantly get the Alma under 20 lbs, I have my 20" Scape @ 20.5 lbs that with a Reba (1592 grams) and the Alma is surly lighter than my Scape (1391 grams) the heavy part of the 2005 Scott's were the seat post I know the 2006 comes with a Ritchey that's lighter. And well Trek's a Trek.

#4 ·
I love my Scale.

I have absolutely no complaints about it! Mine is on it's way to being setup like a LTD minus the UST and special LTD frame. Once my wheels come in it will be in that 20lb category (with shim 959's). I can't compare directly, but so far it is a superb bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.