Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A Sneak Peek

17K views 109 replies 53 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
Hey caballeros,
A few weeks ago I posted some pics of a fork I was building for the NAHBS . There seemed to be some interest in seeing the rest of the frame as it comes together, so here is a sequence of shots showing the fillet/lug head tube as it takes shape. Hopefully they'll come through in the right order.
Tom Oswald

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
impressive

looks like some real fine work. keep the photos coming as the build progresses
Oswald said:
Hey caballeros,
A few weeks ago I posted some pics of a fork I was building for the NAHBS . There seemed to be some interest in seeing the rest of the frame as it comes together, so here is a sequence of shots showing the fillet/lug head tube as it takes shape. Hopefully they'll come through in the right order.
Tom Oswald

#3 ·
why dont more people do this?

As far as custom, or one of a kind, or simply 'neat'....it is hard to beat some nice lugs.

That ought to be one cool scooter when you are done.

Dare I say those look like pieces of art? Well, serious craftmanship with artistic flare at least!

Ken

#4 ·
How?

Looks like you thinned out parts of the lug spigots in order to create the "braided" look (i.e. one side wrapped over and then under the other). It's not like it's actually twisted together, right?

Pretty frickin' cool, I think. That's one of the most unique looking lugs that I've seen. Something that makes me want to get fancier than the downright boring by comparison fillet brazing I've been doing.

One more question: when you make your own lugs, do you ream them or otherwise make them precise enough to use silver? If not, how do you flow brass without melting the lug apart?

#5 ·
Oswald said:
Hey caballeros,
Tom Oswald
That is cool! Steel is real!

Monte

#7 ·
"Every Oswald frame and fork is constructed using only human powered tools -- no lathes, no milling machines, no 12-axis CNC laser molecule modulators, not even an electric drill. Sure, that means more sweat and toil for Tom Oswald, but what it means for the rider is that their bicycle will be created with the love and care that can only come from a person passionate about making bikes the right way. And the right way to build a unique human powered machine is with human power. Like the bicycle itself, Tom Oswald's building process is clean, quiet and efficient. It provides a peaceful work atmosphere, which allows achievement of the utmost level of craftsmanship."

Damn... didn't know anyone was doing framebuilding that way anymore.

#9 ·
What about the torch?

:) Powered by Tom's own methane? Just kidding! Personally, I use my 12-axis, 5-dimensional CNC waterlasermaserinkjet machine to fabricate everything - just push a few buttons and out comes a frame!

On a more serious note, this is my early nomination for post of the year. Building custom lugs like this is seriously badass in my book, especially when 29" wheels are going to be involved. I've thought about doing something similar (though I'd TIG the lugs to the HT) but never have found the free time or inclination.

Wicked! I'm super impressed - will the BB and seat lugs receive similar treatment?

-Walt

2Tall said:
"Every Oswald frame and fork is constructed using only human powered tools -- no lathes, no milling machines, no 12-axis CNC laser molecule modulators, not even an electric drill. Sure, that means more sweat and toil for Tom Oswald, but what it means for the rider is that their bicycle will be created with the love and care that can only come from a person passionate about making bikes the right way. And the right way to build a unique human powered machine is with human power. Like the bicycle itself, Tom Oswald's building process is clean, quiet and efficient. It provides a peaceful work atmosphere, which allows achievement of the utmost level of craftsmanship."

Damn... didn't know anyone was doing framebuilding that way anymore.

#11 ·
Gang,
Thanks for checking it out. And thanks for the positive words. To answer questions from above:
The tubes will be silver brazed into this assembly.
Parts are thinned to give the illusion of interwoven strands.
I will continue that theme at the seat cluster, but I'll probably leave the bb more simple.
Below is a just-brazed pic.
Stay tuned for more...
Tom

Attachments

#16 ·
I foresee a lot more business for you, Tom. The 29er board seems to be a loyal lot (Waltworks, Blacksheep, etc...), and I believe your name will be added to this list shortly. Seriously, if I was a custom frame builder, I'd be all over the 29er board. We 29er types seem to really love pulling for the little guy, especially when his work is as awesome as Tom's.
-Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.