Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

titus rx-100 vs ells truth vs turner flux vs ventana salty

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Ratt 
#1 ·
I'm 44yo 5'10'' 145lb RR raced last 3 yrs (cat III) due to back surgery I'm finding mtn bike is easier on the back. I plan on racing mtn bike again (it's been 4 yrs since my last mtn bike race) and I'm currently riding Santa Cruz SL but I'm looking for a little more "plushness". I've researched the web and I'm even MORE confused HL,ITC,TNT,DW.I still want the bike for trail riding as well as racing. I'm looking for advise on picking, (not so much emotions, although 1/2 of biking is emotional) one of the above bikes and why. Of course other suggestion are welcome.
E

#2 ·
SC Blur XC?

tefloncat said:
I'm 44yo 5'10'' 145lb RR raced last 3 yrs (cat III) due to back surgery I'm finding mtn bike is easier on the back. I plan on racing mtn bike again (it's been 4 yrs since my last mtn bike race) and I'm currently riding Santa Cruz SL but I'm looking for a little more "plushness". I've researched the web and I'm even MORE confused HL,ITC,TNT,DW.I still want the bike for trail riding as well as racing. I'm looking for advise on picking, (not so much emotions, although 1/2 of biking is emotional) one of the above bikes and why. Of course other suggestion are welcome.
E
If you like your SL you should take a look at the 06 Blur XC as well. Much more plush than the SL.

#3 · (Edited)
tefloncat said:
E
The four bikes you list are in the overall very competitive. All are raceable trail bikes, but the biggest differences between 'em will be geometry, adjustability, and what vibe ya (you personally, not me or anyone else) gets from the manufacturer. I think the Salty might be a bit beefier than the rest, but then again Sherwood is considering reviving the El Feugo as a 4" X 4" race/trail bike (steeper angles, lighter weight. See the thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=148222)

I ended up with a '04 Feugo (3" Brother to the Salty) and it's very nimble, yet stable. It's a bike that keeps telling me 'go faster'. The '05 has a updated linkage and can be available with 4 or 5 or 6 inch rockers. The things that sold me on the Feugo was the geometry and that it was adjustable - it was a bike I could ride as a 3" or 5" with a change of rockers (and maybe swapping out some of the more XC parts.)

The geometry of the Flux, RX, and Truth are all a bit different than the Salty. Which one fits your frame best should help choose which ones to look seriously at. Green Giant and Kapusta would both be good ones to page here, they've both had time on some of the above listed bikes. Kapusta's had time on both the Flux and the RX, and can give some insights there while GG's had some time on the Racer X/Hammerhead and the Salty.

Good luck,

JmZ

#4 ·
CraterMaker said:
If you like your SL you should take a look at the 06 Blur XC as well. Much more plush than the SL.
Taking your intended use (racing/trailriding) and weight into consideration, I would recommend trying a SC Blur XC or a Turner Nitrous. Both would make great xc trailbikes in addition to racing rigs. These frames are light and with a different wheelset could be even more versatile on varying types of trails. Since you are a lighter rider you can get away with more on lighter components, frame, fork, etc. This is assuming the type of trails you ride do not require a beefier build than these frames are designed for.

#5 ·
I have a Burner (similar to Flux) and it's great for long ups and downs but when I take it on some trails around here that are flat or have short ups and downs, I feel like it just sucks the energy right out of me. I certainly can take a beating and I have nothing bad to say about the Turner.

I owned an Id b/4 the Burner (same suspension design and similar to the Truth) and it was essentially the same as the Burner but with more travel. I think it actually climbed better but wasn't as stable on the downs.

I have some time on a Hammerhead's version of the Racer X and it was a great all around bike. I think it would definitely fit the bill for racing and trail riding. I'm actaully going to sell the Burner to help fund a new bike and it came down to the Racer X or the Dean Ace. I'm going with the Dean but just barely. It essentially came down to a coin flip. I think this would be the best fit for your requirements.

Unfortunately, I had no time on a Vetana so I can't comment on that one.

All of this being said, always test ride as much as possible b/c the geometry of each one will be different and you have to find the one that feels the best.

Good luck!

#6 ·
I have owned both the Racer-X and El Saltamontes. Right now I ride the Ventana X5. There is no FS bike out there that corners and climbs the smooth stuff like the Racer-X. It is a race bike and one of the best ones made at that. Compared to the Salty it is not a plush in the rear. It also has a steeper head angle and slightly shorter wheelbase and bottom bracket height. You cannot go as aggressive on the Racer-X. It is also lighter weight and not as strong as the salty. Although it is one of the more durable and well built bikes out there, and one of the strongest for its weight.

When I rode the Salty I could put more hours into a ride before I felt worked. The Salty is a smoother bike. It is not a quick or as good climbing but it is not very far behind at all. The Salty does climb a little better if things get rocky. Going down the Salty wins because of its shallower head angle, longer wheelbase, and higher bottom bracket.

I would look at the Salty as loosing a few seconds in the races to gain a few hours on the trail. But for some people it is all about racing.

BTW there is a Salty for sell that might fit you well.El Saltamontes for sell

#8 ·
tefloncat said:
...I'm currently riding Santa Cruz SL but I'm looking for a little more "plushness". ...
As far as "plush" goes, your Superlight is pretty plush, it has a longer swing arm and higher pivot point than any of the bikes mentioned, making it a plusher bike. Its only short coming imho is it bobs like a muther.

The only way to get a plusher ride is to go to more travel, like at least 5". #1 on the list is the new Ellsworth Epiphany because its the lightest at around 5.5 lbs. The Turner 5 spot, Blur LT, Stumpjumper 120, Hammerhead 120, Intense 5.5, and if you liked your superlight maybe a Heckler.

tefloncat said:
...I'm even MORE confused HL,ITC,TNT,DW...
We all are. Its just marketing hype. Test riding bikes is the only way to find the right bike for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.