Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

a piece of art submitted for opinion

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  redriderbb 
#1 ·
hey guys im doing my senior show at unca and have been an avid cyclist for years and you guys are the ones i wish for approval from in the composition department. i will be submitting various pictures throught the next few months looking for any critiques you guys would give me. this one is titled "chain 2" it is a lythography print and i am planning on selling them at my show in november. come to asheville and ride beautiful trails just before it gets too cold and see some bike based art work....but for now...what do ya think?? thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I like what you have done. However, my eyes follow the chain around, notice the other links and then get hung up on that one link (in the upper left third) that looks oddly two-dimensional with little texture. I get trapped there with a bad feeling ior trying to integrate the rest of the drawing. Everything else has nice texture and depth but something strikes me odd there.

#6 ·
I like it alot and would consider hanging it up in my den alongside some other cycling artwork.

The only thing that strikes me, and it's probably just a pet peeve on my part, is the last link in the chain, lower left, has the pin pushed out. Just something about it that perhaps the non-riding viewer wouldn't pick up.

Do you have an online gallery of other offerings?

#7 ·
Love it! The pushed-out pin merely serves to highlight all aspects of the chain. The two-dimensional part reminds me of a blueprint.

But I agree, the three-dimensional chain itself has depth and a gritty industrial look that's very appealing. The two-dimensional section does seem to take up too much room, maybe it should be covered a bit by the 3D part we prefer.

#8 ·
yes it is part of a series. i am debating on putting up an online gallery. for now im working on production more than anything else. if anyone is interested in invitations to the show email me at blblitch@bulldog.unca.edu and let me ask how much you would pay for a print. these will mostly be only four reproductions. here is chain4 also a litho.

Attachments

#11 ·
redriderbb said:
hey guys im doing my senior show at unca and have been an avid cyclist for years and you guys are the ones i wish for approval from in the composition department. i will be submitting various pictures throught the next few months looking for any critiques you guys would give me. this one is titled "chain 2" it is a lythography print and i am planning on selling them at my show in november. come to asheville and ride beautiful trails just before it gets too cold and see some bike based art work....but for now...what do ya think?? thanks
nice. reminds me of the da vinci drawings.
I would take the same pieces and spread them out on a larger canvas. it looks cluttered, like you are just packing it on there.
I am not an artist, but i don't see the use of 'negative space'.

#15 ·
I dig it a lot!

Wow! That is fantastic.
The overlay of the chain component parts in varying magnifications is very cool.
Do you have one that breaks down an individual link into pin roller and side plates?
They look very technical yet artistic. Kind of a techno-chic.

Good luck on the sales.

Later,

#16 ·
thanks for the input..

the prints are generally 10 x 14. i have un matted prints for sale right now. i will probably post a website soon, but primarily this is for my show. what do you guys think about 150 for unmatted 300 matted and framed? nice pastel tan frames and dark grey matting? again thanks for the input. the guy looking for one email blblitch@bulldog.unca.edu and let me know how to get in touch with you. oh here is a third. the fourth and fifth will be up monday or tuesday. again thanks you guys.

Attachments

#18 ·
Why is everybody so bothered by the pin sticking out?? :p

These are just studies of a bike chain. Pins in, pin out, plate missing, side view, grunge included, 2-D.......

It's not like you're putting it on your bike! :rolleyes: :D

#23 · (Edited)
Very nice, very well thought out, and I think you have a great eye for depth and visual texture. I also come from an art background, mostly because my youth revolved around it and it seemed to always come naturally. I, as many have said, would have no problems with having your pieces displayed somewhere in the house. I wouldn't even begin to critique it though. Art is what you take from it. Keep doing what you are doing. Nice works.

#24 ·
Great, no critique as MACK1 says. I have several lithos, eau forts and other engravings, your subject might also work with engraving - love to see that. But won't make it to Asheville :( It also seem like a great subject for some really large prints. Think big. If you put up your web site, keep us informed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.