Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new pads, new howl on HFX-9

472 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MikeDee 
#1 ·
I just picked up new pads for my year old Hayes HFX-9's. I have never experienced any noise issues in the past with the stock pads.

Last night I installed some new Hayes sintered metallic pads, cleaned the rotors with alcohol, and went for a quick ride to bed them in. I did 5 or 6 stops on pavement from about 20 mph, and each time they howled like a mother!

Will they quiet down after more stops? Should I lightly sand the pads?
try to re-adjust the calipers? Or are my rotors toast and need replacing?

#2 ·
DoubleDiamond said:
I just picked up new pads for my year old Hayes HFX-9's. I have never experienced any noise issues in the past with the stock pads.

Last night I installed some new Hayes sintered metallic pads, cleaned the rotors with alcohol, and went for a quick ride to bed them in. I did 5 or 6 stops on pavement from about 20 mph, and each time they howled like a mother!

Will they quiet down after more stops? Should I lightly sand the pads?
try to re-adjust the calipers? Or are my rotors toast and need replacing?
I don't know, but I can't keep my rear Hayes 9 brake from howling, no matter how many miles are on the pads or how clean the rotor is - I even changed pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.