Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Garmin GPS 60 & Nat. Geo. Topo

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
Any body use this combo? I am looking at getting my first GPS, and think this is the combo I want, but Nat. Geo. TOPO does not say it works together. Any input would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Ok I got a question for ya

shiggy said:
No Mac version. To use the GPS serial cable with the Mac I have to use a Keyspan serial to USB convertor (one of the few that actually works on a Mac).
I e-mailed TOPO and asked what the Map feature in the GPSMAP 60 gets me, and they said I can load new maps to the unit, except I can't load them from TOPO? This may be stupid, but what is the point of having a GPSMAP 60 if you can't load TOPO maps to it? Do you have to use their version or what? I would like to make real topo maps of the areas that I ride with the trails marked on them. Is this too much to ask, or am I making this harder then it needs to be? I really don't what to buy the wrong thing and I have never used one before. Help.

#7 ·
i havent got a handheld gps but i do use delormes lt-20 gps for laptops. it works fairly well. the down side is lugging the laptop along on rides. i am looking into the 60cs as well and it seems like it has every feature you need plus more which no one ellse offers. However I am shying away from it because it doesnt allow for removable media. I get all my info at http://gpsinformation.net/ and is very thurough on product reviews. good luck!

#8 ·
LititzDude said:
I e-mailed TOPO and asked what the Map feature in the GPSMAP 60 gets me, and they said I can load new maps to the unit, except I can't load them from TOPO? This may be stupid, but what is the point of having a GPSMAP 60 if you can't load TOPO maps to it? Do you have to use their version or what? I would like to make real topo maps of the areas that I ride with the trails marked on them. Is this too much to ask, or am I making this harder then it needs to be? I really don't what to buy the wrong thing and I have never used one before. Help.
None of the GPS vendors support uploading maps from 3rd party software.

You'll have to buy mapping software from your GPS vendor just like I did with my Magellan. It's kinda cool, best use is to help pinpoint your location on a paper map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.