Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SRAM GX drivetrain on my Kona Unit X

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  frdfandc 
#1 ·
Hello, I want to put SRAM GX drivetrain on my Kona unit X - I know that GX casette needs XD body so I guess I will have to change rear Formula hub. I want to get DT Swiss ONE - can you tell me which one will fit ? I am not sure. My bike has Front Hub: Formula 100x9mm | Rear Hub: Formula 135x10mm

#2 ·
it may be worth it just to sell that bike and buy another one. wheelsets get expensive and at a minimum you need a new rear hub but you could also sell your existing wheelset and get another. problem there is you're on QR flanges where as everything now is 12x142 and 15x100 or 12x148 and 15x110.

by the time you buy a new wheelset and the GX drivetrain, add that money in with what you could sell the bike for and it's a pretty decent amount

another easy way to go if you want range on the cheap is shimano 11spd with the 11-46 cassette. the range isn't quite as good as eagle but you can use your existing wheelset and it costs less. a lot less. a full slx or xt conversion can be had under 300.

#4 ·
I spoke with guys from Kona and here's what they told me
"The Unit's have 10x135mm QR hubs stock. You can also convert to 12x142 by swapping the dropouts. If it was me I would probably convert to a thru axle at this point." -
So I assume I have to convert to 142 by exchanging dropouts - then get this XD body 142 hub like DT Swiss 350 and voila :) My intention was not only to get that GX group but to make my wheels more stiff, I have two other bikes with thru axles and I am really happy with them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.