Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Days off for a big ride

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Crankout 
#1 ·
In a couple of days I a heading out for a big ride at DuPont, NC with my son and a friend and both are in amazing shape (last year son got his expert infantry and air assault badge and the other young man was one of the top GNCC motorcycle races a couple of years ago, won 250A class and moved up to pro lite before going back to school this past year). I can still school them on the tech climbs because I ride a lot more than they do, but they are in better shape than me so the long, steady, non tech climbs like the ones at DuPont they will be able to dust me (add their ages together and they are still younger than me!). Again on the downhills and the jumps they are more ballzie, and I will have a hard time keeping up.
So my question, at our age before a big ride I have been wondering is it best to take a day off? Two days? I ride almost every day, yesterday was a light day, did about 15 miles of hilly road biking (then cut our half acre yard with push mower), so lay off until the ride in 48 hours? Go light again today? Thoughts?

#2 ·
As long as you don't go on particularly hard or long rides on the couple of preceding days it probably won't matter one way or the other, and ime taking a day or 2 off before the ride certainly won't hurt anything. Unless the ride is going to be something way outside your norm I wouldn't stress about it, if they're faster than you they'll be waiting no matter what you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.