Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Semi-Centenarian Singlespeeders ?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  chuckha62 
#1 ·
Just curious how many here ride a SS as their primary rig? I'll admit I will ride my 1x9 hardtail offroad early in the Spring to limber the 58yo knees up after a few months of relative inactivity, but I ride my rigid, 29er SS most of the time, at night, solo. I also commute on a SS during the year.

#2 ·
I don't commute often on my SS except on days where I feel like spinning. But I do enjoy a weekend romp through the park trails when I don't have time for a longer road ride.

Or, this ride along the Rio Grande Gorge.

I'm looking for about a 50 mile gravel ride to ride it in.

#5 ·
MTB is singlespeed. Do 24 hour races on it.

Bike currently used for gravel has a 3 speed hubgear because the ratio needed for the road is far higher than offroad. Just did a 125 mile audax on that a couple of weeks ago.

#6 ·
Fighting suspension lust

I switched to a rigid SS in 2004 and have since bought a new SS bike in 2010 with a suspension fork. I am considering a switch to full suspension and 1X11 for a second ride, so I can whoop ass on the Mckenzie River! (It is much easier coming down than up on a SS).
I'll be 67 in the fall.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Rim

#12 ·
Since I built the rigid Stache SS, most of my rides this year have been on it and not on the FEX. Maybe an 80/20% relationship. I do like the FEX bike, and now that I am so used to standing up all the time while pushing a big gear everywhere on the SS, my experience on the geared bike is very different from what it had become. I haven't used anything easier than the 36T cog on the Eagle cassette for a long time (even in the super steeps). I am running the same front rings on both bikes-a 32 tooth chainring. Living in the mountains of northern New Mexico and riding a single speed has helped me get a lot stronger.

#14 ·
I put >50% of my cycling miles (average of between 3-4k per year) on two 29er single speeds. Also have a full suspension bike for the roughest stuff and converted my hard tail into a bike packing rig.

#18 ·
I always find the knee comments to be interesting. To me, knee issues went away after I started riding SS. I believe the fact that you have to stand to climb makes all the difference in the world. You're using more of your body to turn the pedals. I get pretty much a full body workout climbing on my SS and my knees are better than when I used to ride gears.

As for the unicycle. I rode my short one for an hour or so a couple of weeks ago and my quads felt like I had just ridden a century.

#20 ·
I always find the knee comments to be interesting. To me, knee issues went away after I started riding SS. I believe the fact that you have to stand to climb makes all the difference in the world. You're using more of your body to turn the pedals. I get pretty much a full body workout climbing on my SS and my knees are better than when I used to ride gears.

As for the unicycle. I rode my short one for an hour or so a couple of weeks ago and my quads felt like I had just ridden a century.
Yep, no knee or lower back issues as a singlespeeder.

You get strong.

#19 ·
I absolutely love my old BRC Gonzo 26” ridged SS. I use it mainly for climbing paved roads as I found trail riding too hard on my body and the bike. I use my full sus for that. Four years ago I discovered CX and entered the open class so I could ride my SS and well I’m hooked. So after 3 years of winning my class I moved up to the 40+ class which uses “real” SS CX bikes. My butt is still sore from getting it kicked but again so much SS fun. So this season it looks like I’ll have to move up to a big tire bike so I can compete. I’ll be 60 this July and still loving it. Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.