Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Here we go

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Xd9biker 
#1 ·
So I got off the pot and bought an Anthem 2 yesterday, and got a good deal on a quality helmet and some gloves, trail patch kit and pump, water bottle cage etc.....

I love the feel of the bike, the little bit I’ve played with it, had planned on a trance but they are apparently back ordered out the wazoo in my frame size (small) and no idea when they will be available

So it’s been 25 years and I have to thank everyone who suggested FS, as it’s a blast and kind....found my self riding down a set of stairs in the parking lot behind the bike shop, and when I got to the bottom I realized I was sitting in the saddle not standing....people in the parking lot where staring at my 48 year old overweight self as I giggled riding back and forth over curbs...

That part was fun, then I went out on the little walking path that runs behind my house and OMG am I out of shape....I think my German shepherd was laughing at me. SO I think the plan is just to try to ride a bit every day and build up a bit of wind and some legs again. Temp here is around -5 so at least i’m not overheating but this is gonna take some work....should be fun. If anyone else is out there lurking like I was, take the plunge!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good on ya....

When I started riding again I was recovering from a heart problem and really out of shape.
(Not really overweight but that's just my metabolism - I should have been with my lifestyle)

Try and forgo sitting when going down if you can.... did you get a dropper?

I had a fairly easy path back to relative fitness as I had a 5yr old... and I just went and rode regularly with him as he got better and stronger... I think the regular bit really helped...

3 and a bit years on and I'm reasonably fit. I'd certainly have died doing what I do now.
I got in touch with an old riding mate (30yrs mate) who moved away and saw some of his vids and at the time I was watching the first 5 minutes of him racing and knowing I'd be needing a crash trolley in the first 5 mins... let alone the next 2 hours...just thinking about it raised my heart to dangerous levels.

Now I see my mates vids and it looks doable without dying... (not the same as actually doing it but I can imagine trying to keep up and he's racing and winning or podium places big races still)

#4 ·
Yep, I wanted a dropper as soon as I saw one! What a fantastic idea. I think of the pain it would have saved me years ago!

I thought my legs would be better as I walk 12 hours a shift when i’m working.....LOL what a suprise there. It will come, and once it warms up and I can go a few miles without feeling like puking or hacking there are some cool trails in the area.

#6 ·
Yep, I wanted a dropper as soon as I saw one! What a fantastic idea. I think of the pain it would have saved me years ago!

I thought my legs would be better as I walk 12 hours a shift when i'm working.....LOL what a suprise there. It will come, and once it warms up and I can go a few miles without feeling like puking or hacking there are some cool trails in the area.
Learning when and how to best use the dropper will really help your riding. Use it all the time!

I bet your legs are plenty strong with that much walking. It's just your body isn't used to making little circles yet.

#10 ·
Actually in ontario Canada so not yet thought the feds here say it will be this summer.
Day two riding up and down a small hill the round the gravel paths. Not hacking up crap this time but am realizing how much muscle mass is gone from my quads. Just more work.
The anthem is cool, it turns when i think. Disk brakes are sweet too. And apparently get better as they bed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.