Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Street conversion for a 29er

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  HAMP 
#1 ·
Greetings all, my wife is a road biker and I'm not. However, I'd like to be able to keep up with her when she does shorter rides (15 to 20 miles) on my Trek Mamba 29er without spending the entire ride out of the saddle.

Any suggestions on wheel/tire combos that would help? I'd like to keep my existing set of wheels/tires for riding single track with my son and build a separate set of wheels and tires for riding the streets with my wife.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Can you give us the top speed and average speed of both bikes ridden?

I have a Trek Marlin that I ride street about 98% of the time with that bike, the other 2% I may hit a gravel/grassy spot here and there. I use my Superfly for trails.

I don't lock out my fork, but locking it out may help just a bit.
Clipless pedals with help, and again that is something I don't do(I'm a coward)

Switching to thinner road friendly tires with higher pressure should help also.

I did switch out my knobbies for road friendly tires, but I didn't get them thinner. I did increase my average a couple MPH's. When I ride rode I'm not really out for speed, a good pace and distance is all I care about.

BTW..

I'm what they call a Clydesdale, I'm tall and big... lol

#10 ·
This is a good idea that I didn't think about when I made the decision to just buy a trail bike separate from the one I would ride on the rode.

But,

Buying a second wheelset might become an issue with always adjusting your brakes to the wheels you would use that day(trail or rode).

The decision I made doesn't fall under cost effective, but more of ease to me.

When I priced out the upgrades I wanted to do to my Marlin that would allow me to use it for both trail and road, I felt to simplify my life was to buy a second bike.

Yet in my final decision I went above and beyond any reasonable budget. lol

I do not have any regrets, and I love each bike for what they do when I need them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.