Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Racing Heart Rate too high?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BmanInTheD 
#1 ·
I just did my first "standard" distance MTB race of 19.5 miles ( 1hr 52 minutes). My past MTB racing experience has been the Mohican 100 ( 100k most of the time) every year.

I hit the race pretty hard and was very surprised to see my average heartrate at 171 with a max at 185.

I am 56 and my max has always been on the high side ( not sure if this is good or bad), but I was surprised to see this. I normally will see about 155 for a good hard endurance pace MTB ride.

What kind of rates to you see when racing?

Thanks,

#3 ·
We're all different, so would be hard to give someone else advice on something like this, but doesn't seem to out of place, especially if you've been keeping fit for a long time and have the heart to maintain that exertion. Curious, was this at altitude or no? Only races I've done were years ago, at altitude and my avg was around 161bpm IIRC, but that as said was at altitude over 7k ft and I live at sea level. Max I managed to hit was 169bpm AFAIR, when it would normally, at sea level be 190-195bpm.

#6 ·
I think this is a general formula as it is different for everybody.

I was just surprised to see my average that high. the real deliemma
is how to get faster if I can't pump harder than I do.....the answer for me is to get off the brakes in the turns... lol

#9 ·
My last XC race I averaged 181 for almost 90 minutes. Max is about 198 that I saw a year ago. I did a 6-hour race in May and averaged 161 for 6 hours at age 57.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.