Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone race on 29+?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  FJSnoozer 
#1 ·
I've been racing xc on my 29er fs bike for a few years now but also have a 29+ hardtail, Trek Stache, that I ride for fun. I thought it could be fun to ride it in one race. Any race scenarios where a 29+ bike would work well? I'm using 29x3 Bombolonis which roll well but not like a 29x2.1 xc tire. Maybe the 29+ would be good for longer endurance type of events? The 3.0 tires don't qualify for fat bike category. Anyone race 29+ before?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
We've got some sandy XC courses down her in Florida I've considered running a Stache 9.6 in before. That thing just isn't phased with 3.0 Chupacabras in deep sugar sand, and rolls ALMOST as good as my Top Fuel on 2.3's. Almost...still racing on the Top Fuel cause it's faster. The Stache isn't far behind, especially when deep sand and loose corners come into play. If they made a Stache 9.9 spec'd similarly to the Farley 9.9 that would be an amazing option, full rigid at ~20# or so with grip for days.

Just my 2 cents...

#3 ·
Here in Arizona I know of guys racing 29+. One guy in fact races single speed and spent alot of time on both 29er (2.2, 2.3) and 29+, (3.0) and even 27.5+ (2.8 and 3.0) These were tested on the same frame with and without a suspension fork and similar tread pattern tires. After about 18 months and many races and well as non race riding he has settled on 29+ (3.0) with rigid fork on his ti Vassago. Despite many attempts for him those seem to work the best. He is competitive in our top tier SS division and would be in Cat 1 competitive if he chose to run gears. We do have a "fat bike" division for 3.0+ tires, but he perfers to run straight up vs the other Singlespeeders. Of note he has run smooth surface races, chunky surface races. 90 min races, and long 5hr+ rides and always goes back to plus. He is highly skilled and not even a big guy at 5'6" 150ish.

He does have motocross background and that may play a role. On my SS I can run 29+ tires, but have preferred the feel of regular 29er tires. I raced last season in the 2nd division SS and I am slower than my friend. Both on climbs and descents. I don't attribute this to tire size, but skill and fitness.

Point is 29+ tires could work, but to really know you will have to ride them to find out. It can be very personal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.