Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CT trails with the best flow?

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ctxcrossx 
#1 ·
First let me start by saying that I love biking in CT. I live in Trumbull and have been here for a little over 12 years. I bike Pequonnock /Indian Ledge a few times a week and probably head up to Rockland at least two to three times a month (hour+ drive).

Recently my girlfriend has expressed an interest in mountain biking. She's come up to Kingdom Trails with me a few times and rented a bike. She's been pretty capable of handling herself but steers away from a lot of the technical/rougher stuff. She isn't a fan of Trumbull at all. She likes trails that are a lot better groomed and flowy, and after a few trips with her to KT I can see why.

I'd really like her to continue to get into biking so i'm on the hunt for trails that would be closer to what she liked in VT. Something that doesn't have too much tech, but is pretty fast and flowy with decent sized berms, maybe a few jumps, moderately sized skinnies/bridges, and limited climbing. I'm not looking for a downhill course, but i'm hoping I can find something that isn't too XC either.

I've biked all over CT, but I'm sure I haven't seen everything. I have yet to come across what she's looking for an could use some advice.

#5 ·
Although East Granby might be a haul for you, Cowles Park has a ton of flow. There are a few roots and rocks, but what New England trails don't have them?

The trail system is very well maintained and they even use leaf blowers in the fall to clear the trails!

Note: The people who maintain it are very serious about riders staying off the trails when they are really wet.

Check out their FB page "Cowles Park Singletrack." Cool pics as well as updated trail conditions.

#6 ·
I have to second this suggestion. Very smooth and flowy for the most part, you could honestly get by on a gravel bike for much of it. There are some cool features, but by no means a technical spot. If you are looking for flowy/berms, check out Toboggan Run. I think there is still a youtube video out there for this trail if you search for it.

#3 ·
As stonant said, Farrington is (relatively compared to most of the rest of the state...) flowy, but that's mostly due to it just being far less rooty and rocky than most places.

Otherwise, get yourself over to Rockland. Good stuff for both you and your lady to enjoy. Good flowy stuff, but also a good amount of fun tech stuff. Pretty much most of the harder stuff has go-arounds built in, if she isn't inclined.

#4 ·
Just over the state line in Agawam is Robinson SF...exactly what you're looking for. Probably not worth the drive by itself, but combo plate with the Big E, Six Flags, Hall of Fame, ( or the dreaded Yankee Candle trip)...

#10 ·
I second Waldo State Park in Southbury. I only have a rigid SS right now, so flow is much appreciated, and it's the closest thing to "flow" I've found since moving to CT last year. A lot less rocks than most places and not a ton of sustained climbing. I would guess she would have some fun there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.